1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve hits Left 4 Dead 2 performance high - on Linux

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 Aug 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

So, what you're ACTUALLY saying, Valve, is DirectX is worse than OpenGL....

We knew that already.

AmEv likes this.
  3. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Great news! Just read this on twitter a minute ago. Scary performance increase. Lets hope they can keep improving the performance. Hopefully more devs see that there is gains to be had developing for Linux as well as windows.

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Hopefully it won't be long before all the sources games will be running awesomely :D

Will be keeping an eye on their progress.

5. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

To be honest this is a load of rubbish. Did they do like for like performance testing with the same graphics feature sets? I am all in favour for OpenGL support and a AAA grade company focusing on the Linux platform but all the trash talking seems to just be an excuse to build up the platform.

It'll be interesting to see how OpenGL keeps up with developers demands on them. 4.2 is nearly a year old!
    http://www.opengl.org/documentation/current_version/

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

A year old? My god! Valve should give up on such an outdated platform and dedicate themselves to DirectX11 immediately! You know, the DirectX11 which was released in 2008 - four years ago.

7. Phalanx

I remember the days when games used to give you the choice to pick your rendering engine. I always used OpenGL as it was faster and more streamlined. Things haven't changed, apart from lazy developers who want the easy package of DirectX.

8. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    A bit caustic reply from a staff member but funny anyways. :D

9. Gareth Halfacree

Meh. I'm a freelancer, and I ain't had my morning coffee yet. Plus, I'd say more sarcastic than caustic, but I'm never the best judge of these things.

10. will_123

It highly amused me!

11. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I would hardly call a ~3.5% increase in performance "scary"...

12. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

303FPS vs 315FPS? (OpenGL figures)

So under these tests linux is 3% faster? And on this game and in this resolution both can generate a higher FPS figure than anyone will ever need?

Nice test Valve, now update your damn tools and game catalogue and test again using a modern game engine!

Still 3% is 3%... it's just a shame that linux is linux.

13. will_123

270 fps to 315 is very impressive in my opinion? maybe scary was not the correct word. But very its a very impressive increase in frame rates.

14. Gareth Halfacree

Remember that the Windows OpenGL version only gets 303FPS thanks to work done on the Linux OpenGL version - before that, the best performance was 270FPS from the DirectX version. So you're not looking at a 3% performance increase, but a 16-ish per cent performance increase under Linux/OpenGL compared to Windows/DirectX.

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I have a feeling it might be attributed to overhead more than anything else.

16. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

What Valve are actually saying is OpenGL is more efficient than DirectX 9. That DX9 is inefficient, was a known fact before this day.

17. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

How important is an increase from 270 to 315fps - I guess if I had a 315hz TV it would be smooth, my eyes can only process around 60fps.

It's interesting because a linux code/OPENGL combo is important for several reasons I suspect - I assume the single most important part will be the ability to fast port PC games based on linux to Android (phones/consoles/tablets), the openGL driver will enable a faster port to iOS (iphone, ipad, imac, ipod).

Microsofts windows8 platform is attempting to gain massive share into the phone/tablet market at the same time the android/linux camp are pushing hard into the consumer PC market.... let teh games begin, but please stop trying to make my PC display look like a smartphone, when I don't use a touchscreen for my PC.

18. will_123

Maybe its not important in this case but when you are not on a GTX 680 the performance increases from OpenGL could be a very good thing!

19. Phalanx

Ah that's a point, L4D is DX9 isn't it, as it runs on XP!

20. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

after their calling windows 8 a catastrophe because of the windows store, I can't help but wonder if the only reason HL2 is faster is because they wanted it to be faster :))