1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Router reboot

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 14 Aug 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

I feel your pain. I've set up the PC's in my house with statics ips and port forwarded them for things like torrents and mmos. While the router my isp gave me will often stay up for a couple months without needing to be reset and doesn't fall over due to gaming, its wireless function is pretty pathetic. Go a couple rooms away and it becomes utterly rubbish. Sadly I can't afford to spend upwards of £80 on a good one.

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

IpCop and an e-Machines Pentium 2 last time I checked it had an uptime in the 450+ days and that was only because I was out the country for a month. Its got to the point where I'm scared to turn it off in case it never comes back up.

My cable modem on the other hand has taken to crashing at alarming intervals, I've had to dig it out of its nice hiding place and leave it some where more accessible so I can hit it with flint tools.

4. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

my own netgear DG834GT is begining to show signs of not being loved anymore..... was faithfully reliable but starting to not be (it is 6 years old now)

5. =DJ=

=DJ= Torturing x86 since '86

Aside from the occasional silver-bullet firmware update I've found most flaky routers are made a lot more reliable by simply turning off the built in WiFi, and using a proper separate AP anyway.

One Thomson router I had would freeze within a couple of hours if an iPhone was connected to it, but never needed power cycling again once the WiFi was turned off... (ADSL up time was always around a month)

With perfectly adequate APs available for under £20 it's not an expensive experiment to try if you're suffering reliability issues. :)

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

DD-WRT is the answer :D

got myself a high end Linksys DSL router for DD-WRT, then using ISP provided router as modem. never had any problem or issues with configuration or freezing.

7. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I'm using the wireless router supplied by my ISP, unfortunately it's locked down, pre-configured and about as reliable as a chocolate teapot filled with luke-warm water - it'll work but how long before it melts?

I've got another router (which I've not used) but as I don't have any of the settings (as the router was pre-configured) I can't use it.

8. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

My Thomson 784 (no N for wireless) has been working fine for the last two years. Only thing I feel it lacks are N (obviously), Gigabit ports and no NTFS support on the USB port. Other than that, it's uptime = 47 days, 12:40:25 (at the time I ran the command). Of course I've done some tinkering on it, but that's what I do during my day job, so it's trivial.

Last edited: 14 Aug 2012
  9. Valinor

Valinor What's a Dremel?

Actually, I'm using a BT Home Hub (3, I think) and that openreach fibre box thingy, and I've only had a couple of issues (connection dropping) in the year-and-a-bit in which we've had it.

As I said, it's hardly been perfect, but it's still been surprisingly good (I also have an old Home Hub, which decides that for the first week after being plugged in it'll drop the connection every minute. After that it's mostly fine, but annoying when that week happens to be half-term week, for which I was at home almost all the time).

10. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

well at least BT have made it easy to replace the BThub3 when on FTTC, the bthub3 N and auto channel select really does not work well at all its still broken for the most part

like what BT do when they remotely connect to it you set the device to B/G mode (no N) and pick an channel like 1,6 or 11 as they are none overlapping channels and that fix's basic all its issues with devices randomly not working after 1 to 24hrs

DD-WRT on my edimax Gigabit N router been working fine for an years (the 40 N mode does not work but 20 N does)

11. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

All my routers used to break within a year, often half a year. I was then given a BT Business Hub made by 2Wire. This thing is awesome. Hasn't fallen over once in the 2 years I've had it. The only fault is a dodgy power cable that when knocked has a chance to turn off but that only happens when fiddling with the wires and has been there since I got it.

Edit: The problem with DDWRT is that AFAIK they don't support ADSL modem routers.

12. PCBuilderSven

PCBuilderSven Minimodder

My Linksys router works without problem, haven't had to reboot it ever so it's been running for over two years now.

13. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

I used IPcop up until 2005 with an ancient pentium with an ISA 56K modem and it was bulletproof. Automagically maintained my pitiful connection 24/7, relatives were trying to get through to the landline for months :D

Used smoothwall for a couple of years as well when broadband finally dawned here which was pretty good until the modem in the box died -- it was pretty solid apart from that.

At the moment I'm using a Netgear DG834G that's a few years old -- pretty basic feature set but does an adequate job, albeit I'm the only one that uses it generally.

I'd suggest you give a firewall distro a go if you've got an old mini itx board or old laptop kicking about, though depending on the hardware you might be talking excessive power usage for the end goal.

I've noticed a trend with recent combi router/switch/APs that limits the speed of the wireless connection and only allows higher/full speeds on the more expensive models -- I suspect this is artificially rate limited via firmware rather than a hardware limitation. I'd concur in suspecting that the vast majority of these cereal boxes the ISP supplies or you buy in PC world are crap.

How about a roundup of quality routers at some point? Not the most glamorous tech but something a lot of us would appreciate, I think.

14. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I gave up on routers. I have a 100/8 Mbit internet and even such model as Linksys E2000 has problem routing it (with E2000 i had ~90/5MBit, with a router from my server i have 105/7Mbit).

Routers often have too low performance as well for a demanding user. You can easily slow down the router to halt just by starting some application which opens lots of connections (torrents for example) where the usual cap of 500 max connections vanishes and you are left with unstable connectivity - simply because the router cannot open more connections.

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I've experienced the same problems with provided routers (a particularly awful BT home hub springs to mind), but the last two have been awesome.

My DG834GT was retired because it couldn't cope with our wireless printer, to be replaced with a TP-link which is even better. 75 days uptime at home now and still going strong.

16. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Billion 7800n worked a treat for me during a 6 month stint at my parents. Never flaked out... But this was streaming video mainly.

17. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Sorry, but no. My Buffalo AirStation Infiniti WZR-HP-G450H came factory configured with DD-WRT firmware, and it has stupidly low power output to antennas resulting in poor signal strenght and tends to freeze completely couple of times a day. Switching to Buffalo's own firmware makes it somewhat more useable, albeit only barely. Not a great showing from +100EUR wireless device.

I'm going to try running it with OpenWRT one of these days.

18. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Power usage will be higher but even my p2 only draws 25w and the difference in cost between an epia and a good router buys a lot of electricity.

19. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Never had to reboot my Netgear router.
    Just plugged in my settings and away it goes.

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

factory configured is your problem. try install a micro version of proper DD-WRT it should work better.

the fact it barely worked with stock Buffalo firmware shows there's something wrong with the router.

also, why would it come factory configured with DD-WRT yet there's a stock Buffalo firmware? shouldn't stock be same as factory configured?

i've been using multiple Linksys router with DD-WRT for over 4 years now, never had any problem. always used the ISP router as a modem.

Tags: Add Tags