1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 24" 1920x1200 monitor suggestions in the US

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by thewelshbrummie, 9 Jul 2017.

1. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Active Member

I'm in the process of moving to the US and have spent the last year planning a fresh build, rather than attempting to bring my monster rig across the pond. I've got the actual rig planned out but I'm having trouble finding a good monitor.

I'm after something similar to the U2410 I have at home - 16:10 / 1920x1200 resolution, to be paired with a 6GB 1060. Not interested in 4K/3D/freesync/Gsync etc. Just want a good monitor that does the basics well.

I'm struggling to find good options without compromise. The U2415 would be a good bet except it doesn't have internal scaling, so anything that only supplies a 16:9 image (like an Xbox or Nintendo Switch) would be stretched to fill the panel which simply is not good enough (the U2410 has 1:1 pixel mapping and can stretch an image below native resolution to scale correctly to maximise screen real estate while also maintaining aspect ratio).

I'd rather not drop to a 16:9 monitor.

My question - any recommendations for a decent 24" 1920x1200 monitor, $300 limit (before tax and shipping) that can do what I'm after. 3-4 HDMI/DisplayPort inputs will do the job nicely.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

3. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

@Vault, did you even read the OP or are you just trying to bump your post count?

@thewelshbrummie, I would have suggested the U2415 or U2412M but as you mention, the scaling will be a problem as well as the limited inputs on the older screen. Not that you need to be told, but you're trying to have a designated PC monitor (hint: the aspect ratio) behave like an HDTV and it's not going to play nicely. In addition to that, 16:10 has been abandoned by most manufacturers and it's generally only available at the high end from NEC and Eizo, in addition to the budget offerings from Dell. The U2410 was around at a time when 1080p was not yet the norm, which is probably why Dell bothered to give it effective dual functionality. For years now it's been the case that consumers and professionals alike are using 16:9 for all applications, and only professionals want 16:10.

I have no problem with 16:10 for desktop use as it's also what I prefer, but IMO you're requirements are unrealistic because you basically want a display to be both 16:10 and 16:9 at the same time. I'm afraid if you want to stay 16:10 with your PC, you're going to have to settle for stretched console gameplay or get yourself a cheap HDTV.

4. Vault-Tec

@Lenny you don't need to talk to me like I'm stupid.

There is one on Newegg used for $330. I am sure if he shops around he will find one for $300 or less.

OK?

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Well you're going to have to compromise somewhere... either by accepting the loss of scaling, the loss of 16:10, and/or by going over budget... mainly for the reasons @LennyRhys points out...

6. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Active Member

Thanks for the replies, clearly I've not been keeping up too well with monitors. There was me thinking that with the U2415 being a newer version of the U2410 and with 4K monitors being where the OEMs can make good money, the price drop my expectations in the 1200p/1080p were not unreasonable.

Not worth the extra $100 over the U2415 for just an inch of screen. I also suspect that the 1060 6GB won't hold up at that res. for the 2-3 years I intend on using the card on max settings.

It wasn't unrealistic 6 years ago when I purchased my U2410 which can do exactly that (admittedly at a far higher price), but I didn't think it was that unrealistic to expect something in the $300 range today to have the same display features as my U2410 thanks to 4K/freesync/3D having become available in the meantime. Guess I'll have to decide what is going to be more useful in the long-run.

Consider my question answered.

7. Vault-Tec

Monitors these days are a nightmare. A complete nightmare. No matter what price point you are at you will sacrifice something. Whether it be res, or hz, or Gsync etc.

You don't have to game at 1440p. You can run games at a lower resolution with no visual penalty, just don't try doing it with the desktop itself.

I used to code front ends for an emulator on a 1200p CRT (so 1600x1200). 1080p meant that for eight years I could not use any of them, as the button panels were all out of reach. It was only by jumping to 1440p a few months back that made them visible again. I figured you didn't want to sacrifice height, hence the 1440p monitor.