1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 24 inch monitor advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Otis1337, 2 Feb 2010.

1. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

So im in the market for a new monitor.
    Im currently on a Samsung 20inch (1680x1050) and would like to upgrade to a 24inch, but here is my problem, i dont know if to save that little longer for a 1920x1200 LCD which cost £200+ or this LED backlit BenQ 1080p screen...
    LINK
    Now for LED backlit 24ich screen for £150 is pretty dam good...

so go for that LED 1080p screen for £150, or pay more and lose LED back lighting but get higher rez?

thx

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

high quality CFL lamp provide better color accuracy. LED backlit is only intersting for laptop as it uses a little less power, and are very bright.

The only LED backlit that offer better than high end CFL lamps, are the 3 RGB LED's.
    Like these:
    [​IMG]
    They costs more, and you can find them on many high end TV's or computer monitors.

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

LED backlit screens have a much higher colour gamut and contrast range.

What use will you be putting the monitor to?

4. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

At the end of the day mate, with things like monitors you could be spending £100's more for something that is only noticable by benchmarks. I have an Acer 24" V243H I picked up from Scan a few months back for £140-150... as far as image quality it is a bloody damn good monitor. My only grudge is that you cant adjust the height level but it's nothing that a simple bit of common sense cant fix.

My uncle bought a £250 dell 24". I see no difference or what ever that can really justify the extra £100...

Get the BenQ mate, good brand, just make sure your using a DVI connector as most BenQ monitors come with VGA only. :)

5. GoodBytes

Hmm not really.. I have a LED backlit screen (my laptop), and I see nothing special... And I comparing it with an some old Acer 17inch non-wide TN panel, VGA only, CFL lamp, and my Dell U2410 (which obviously massacre both like night and day) (NOTE: all monitors are matte)

6. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Sorry, forgot to qualify that with saying that I meant the high end RGB LEDs as you pointed out.

7. GoodBytes

AH yes, I saw from a lucky friend who has one of those RGB LED's TV's and no doubt about it, they produce very result as you detailed.

Anyway, my point is to not get fooled with LED backlit inexpensive monitors. You need to look for RGB LED for the best results, else for with normal CFL's (for desktop's... for laptops that is of course a different story, as battery life is always a problem)

8. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

so your saying i should go for a none backlit LED screen then?
    primary use will be gaming btw.

9. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Look for specific LED monitors(the RGB LED types) or stick with CFLs. Honestly at the low end range, it really doesn't matter too much since panels determine the majority of the image quality.

10. GoodBytes

I beleive that today any good IPS or any TN panel will do for gaming.

IPS panels are something to look at and research.. But they are above your budget (sadly the panel is expensive). :/

TN panel are pretty much all the same. Some minor adjustment here and there... but it's nothing really drastic. The reason for this, I believe, is that it's because many people want monitors by paying the least amount.. and TN panels LCD's monitor is just that. It's a panel that is very inexpensive to do, 6-bit per channel with some built-in monitors trick to try and trick you for the missing colors (ie: flash 2 colors near the one aimed at repeatedly at some rate to trick you that it's the correct color... however, our brain and eyes are smarter than that), poor view angle, and usually not adjustable stand (to cut cost down to minimum). Despite all that, it fits the needs of people. It reminds me of the old says, remember the big old CRT monitor (the ones with the tubes and the screen was bulky), they used to get the cheapest one at no mater the cost... this made them get ugly looking monitors that flickers (well they all flickers.. but I mean they flicker so slow that you see it flicker), and causes people eye strains and headaches.

Now lucky for you, today low-end LCD's (TN panels) are not THAT bad, like they used to be a few years ago, and getting about uniform between models/brands (ie: one sucks just like the other). Where the only thing you really pick is if you want it glossy, matte, adjustable stand or not, and default color calibration, and to a certain extent backlit bleeding level (but minimal).