1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Dishonored review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 8 Oct 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Shut up and take my money!

3. freeclout

freeclout What's a Dremel?

Definitely on my to buy list. Kind of a shame I'm so hooked on borderlands 2 at the moment. Any word on how well its been optimized for the pc and how well it will control with keyboard and mouse.

4. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

mmmmmm is this score not a little tooo high? i mean 99% wow. most reviews (which is not the be all and end all) are like 7.5-8.5.

99% is almost perfect with all others saying the story ending leave a little bit to be desired, not that great textures on some parts and pop-ins, ai detect through wall or not at all. maybe u never had all that problems, but 99.. hah wow still cant get over that number.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Mmm... I was sold on this from the concept, now it's jumped straight to the top of the must-buy list next week. :D

6. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

I'm hooked on Planetside 2 at the moment, ta.

7. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

speaking of tis review joe. u said

oops..

"I want to be careful not to get caught up in hyperbole"... i would love to be caught up in Unlimited Hyperbole!!! bring it back plssssss :-D

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Oct 2012
  8. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Scores are nonsense. If you can tell me exactly how many percent of reduction a slightly muddied texture is worth, I'll adjust the score to reflect that. As it is, I'll otherwise just assume that those people were playing on Xbox 360 instead of PC - as many big journalists I know did.

It's coming soon - I've devoted much of this week to getting it done!

9. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

I've intentionally ignored this game ever since I heard it had a steam-punk theme. Now I think I can start getting hyped again. Great review Joe.

Btw: how mean is this against your hardware?

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

playing this game at Eurogamer expo, the gameplay was fantastic. though other aspect was terrible on the xbox with bad texture and narrow FoV. the guy at Eurogamer told us there are so many people try to play the game like CoD, try to run and gun. so I'm not surprised at its low scores by brainless console reviewers.

with such a glowing PC review done by an intelligent gamer, I am throwing my money at the screen!

11. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

You guys like it, the Escapist liked it, I'm sold!

Although, looking at the requirements, it may be time to retire my earnest little laptop. To Yoyotech!

This is getting expensive...

12. CardJoe

Thanks. It scales pretty easily on most systems, but I don't have the details for the system I was on to hand unfortunately. If it runs on an Xbox 360 though... ;)

Oh, you can totally run and gun with a bit of practice. When I first played the last few levels, that was the approach I took. Once you've learned how to blink, slide and use grenades efficiently you can get some pretty glorious results.

13. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Same here... Is it really that good? Like as near to absolute perfection it's possible to be without it actually being absolute perfection.

And does that score reflect everything about owning and playing the game? DRM issues? Installation issues? Load speed? Texture pop-in? System compatibility? Sound quality? Consistent frame-rate? Voice acting? Character animation? Physics accuracy? Facial / Eye animation? Lighting? Storyline? Stability? Speed of the menus? Configuration options of controls? Any annoyances? Any annoying repeating phrases / tunes?

99% surely means you've tested all of these aspects out, so give us the low down please.

Also...

What happened to bit-tech reviews that used to mention the technical aspects of a game? EG how well it plays on the hardware being used, how good it looks, how great it sounds, how demanding it is on hardware?

In this review you don't even mention the hardware being used (Not even if it's being reviews on a PC or XBox) let alone how good it sounds. Surely for a 99% scoring game it must not only look and play amazing on 'normal-ish' hardware but sound amazing.

Please give us a page 3 of the review. A 'director's cut' if you like. Tell us how it sounds, and how it plays on different hardware. Surely a 99% game deserves that little bit extra?

Last edited: 8 Oct 2012
  14. CardJoe

15. Flanananagan

Flanananagan What's a Dremel?

Luckily I've just finished playing Borderlands 2, so I'll be picking this up next week!

16. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

I've never read such a positive review from Joe, makes me glad I took a chance on a pre-order. Now all I have to do is rearrange my weekend so I have some time to actually play it.

17. Ripitup121

Ripitup121 MMMMMMm watercooling....

99% holy crapmuffin. as if i didnt already want this game. Epic

18. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

To use an extreme example, you quizzing on these technical aspects is like questioning the quality of the seat covers on the world's first mass-market flying car.

As long as they're "fine", then what does it matter?

To the people who have been waiting for a proper spiritual successor to the Deus Ex/Thief genre of hybrid FPS/Sneak-em-ups, this is one of the most important releases in years. Most of the things you mention are just irrelevant noise next to the overall point of the game.

Maybe Joe should start all his reviews with an disclaimer that states "If I don't mention it in the review, then it's fine."

19. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

99% hahahahahahahahahahaha

...... I see: an office in love with this game :)

Teelzebub likes this.
  20. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

What about the length and re-playability? I'd heard it was a little short?

Sounds like a definite purchase in next Steam Sale or ZiiP promotion as I'm pretty skint atm and have Bordelands 2 to satisfy.

Tags: Add Tags