1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel details NUC specs ahead of launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 Nov 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

35$ vs 300$ I don't see how this is going to fend off the Raspi, especially seeing you can build a similar MicroATX PC for probably half the price.

It definitely doesn't have the same impulse-buy effect as the Raspi did on me, seeing that I bought two Raspis.

3. derviansoul

derviansoul What's a Dremel?

You are definitely right. However i can see this to be a decent htpc or for a microserver , just hope the uk price matches the expectations.

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

As has already been said really, you can put together an equal if not better system using matx for half the money. And have upgrade options, you also dont have to bin the whole setup if something fails.

5. asura

asura jack of all trades

Yes, but it still makes it a bit of a kick in the teeth for VIA... RasPi killer - no way, it's priced to high. Nano x2 killer, it's still a bit expensive - but a) a lot of people are going to buy it just because it's a better known brand and b) it's even smaller than MTX 100cm2 vs 289cm2...

6. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

and it will run windows

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I'd think of it more as a far cheaper mac mini alternative than a Raspi competitor.

8. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

$300 and no RAM or storage? Nah, I'll pass. Granted, we're talking two different markets, but odds are good I'd be looking at this for the same purpose as AMD E350 boards....which can be had for less than $100.

Like asura says, this could crush some of Via's offerings on performance without being out of line on price.

And, unless I missed something, HD4000 is your only option? Not going to fly for HTPC types, I'd guess. Let's see it once Haswell/Broadwell comes along and it may be worth the money. It might do well in the modding community and boutique builders, but it's not worth my money yet.

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

10. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

So basically they are selling CPUs with a good boost on profit!