1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News DirectX 11.1 not coming to Windows 7

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 Nov 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

DX11.1 is a relatively minor jump from 11. Considering that win7 makes up such a huge portion of the OS market, share producing a game that's DX11.1 exclusive any time in the next three years wouldn't be financially viable, in the same way that DX11 exclusive titles are, only now, becoming wide spread 3.5 years after the release of Windows 7 and almost six years after windows vista (which also supports DX11). Even then, most titles still boast a DX9 compatibility mode, or , in the case of Witcher 2, just use DX9 to incredibly effect.

As consoles are the real drivers of game development, the only way DX11.1 would see any major adoption sooner is if next-gen XBox and Playstation adopted it as their API. Which they wont because it's too new to have influenced the hardware decisions that will have already been made.

Basically, DX11.1 is the new DX10.

3. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

Won't make anyone move to 8. what's the point in all the improved features if you have to battle the confused UI to get to any of them?

4. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

If i was MS and I kept developing DX as part of the lure to windows etc, then yes i'd use it to leverage people towards an upgrade.

5. feedayeen

feedayeen What's a Dremel?

So Microsoft, you didn't learn your lesson with DX10? Tying DirectX to an unpopular OS does not help make it popular, but it does provide justification for developers to avoid developing the 'latest and greatest'.

azrael- likes this.
  6. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Given that the next gen of consoles isn't out yet, no point to do anything.

And how many good DX11 exclusive games came out since it's introduction? How many DX10 exclusive? (Crysis 1??).

Since then still we still get DX9 games that look awesome, and with mods even better. Skyrim with HD Mods on is a good example of DX9 tech!!!!!!!

7. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Makes no odds - unless next gen consoles are DX11.1 compatable people are a good few years away from caring.... 11.1, means dx11 with 0.1 more feature than before.

That as an aside - DX12 will be where it's all at, which will probably come with windows9, which is something win7 users might consider worth upgrading too.

Windows8 is necessary only to microsoft to help bridge the gap between current desktop MS products, tablets and smartphones, it's not necessary for yhr public to do anymore than watch how the concept develops to an all encompassing "eco-system" that people and enterprises will want - like DX11.1 istelf, win8 will be a short lived OS (not as short as winME though lol).

8. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

It's decisions like these that make you feel like a valued Windows user. I think they know that Windows 8 is not going down well just as was the case with Vista. Want to see the game as the developer intended? then you have to upgrade! The word ransom springs to mind!

azrael- likes this.
  9. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

i moved to windows 8 last week. Im really enjoying. I thought i would hate it but im now used to the metro UI it feels natural.

Pros
    Boot Time, its shiney and pretty and its cheap.

cons
    legacy software cant load from the metro UI directly, it reverts back to the desktop before launching an App. Eg in wow if you click the icon on the Metro UI, it'll switch back to desktop then load the launcher...hopefully as the OS matures and legacy games are updated the metro UI will be the sole place you have to use....

It sounds like ive been brainwashed by microsoft but im running this on an rMBP.......

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Direct x 10 11 11.1 have not been accepted with great amount by the developer community due to none backwords compatability with windows xp ( Still the dominant OS up to febuary this year, Still has near 40% of the desktop OS market with windows 7 Aproaching 45% mac os has 8% )

Off the top of my head i can name only a few direct x 10 exclusive titles, ( Halo 2, BF3 ) there about the only 2 games that dont have a direct x 9 exe, direct x 11 uptake is even smaller.

As a developer you would be mad to remove 40-45% of your sales potential by simply locking it to direct x 10 and above exlusive.

The next gen of consoles are unlikely to help with direct x implementation as all consoles are coded to hardware. Microsoft has gone too far ahead of the game this time with its direct x 11.1 exlusive if direct x 11 was widespread and 11.1 actually offered something then there might be a reason for it. As it is direct x 9 is widespread and will stay that way till microsofts windows xp is no longer supported by the developer community. ( Most likely sometime around 2015)

11. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

Good thing I am very happily using Windows 8 with no problems so far. Apart from my desktop having a DX10 card. Time to upgrade.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

By the time games require DirectX 11.1 as a minimum we will be having a thread on how "evil" Microsoft is for making DirectX 13 a Windows 10 exclusive....

13. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

I still won't "up"grade from Windows 7.

Keep pushing people to a direction they don't like going and you're only going to make alternatives like Linux and OSX look less bad.

azrael- likes this.
  14. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

I may seem like a traitor but this is getting silly now. As soon as all of my work software gets released on mac os (Solidworks, office, and 3dsmax) then I may bugger off.

15. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Yeah, and 11 was a minor jump from 10 which was a minor jump from 9 :D

It probably does more under the surface but I can play games in DX11 and they don't look anything special to me, even some DX9 games look lovely. I get the impression that nobody makes the most out of each one, it seemed like DX11 came along before more than a dozen or so games were even making use of 10, and even that was only for a few fps here and there and a few prettier smoke plumes.

Basically, I give one big meh to dx in general. My eye candy in gaming has more to do with good devs and artists than it does MS's underlying hyped tech.

16. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you mean the hyped tech that makes sure, that no matter what hardware you have, the nice development and art just works

17. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Zero plans to downgrade to Windows 8.

18. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

In my view, since the game market demands more and more cross-platform [between consoles, tablets, phones, Smart TVs, macs, PCs (Windows and Linux)], it's better to invest on OpenGL, OpenAL, SDL, etc.
    Hopefully more and more game developers will realize this and start using them to build the games, instead of starting with DirectX and then port to OpenGL if they have enough share/funding.

If this happens DirectX will face its doom.

Releasing that software on Ubuntu/Linux would be better because you could still choose the best hardware configuration for your needs (and it would be a lot cheaper and efficient).

Last edited: 12 Nov 2012
  19. Deders

Deders Modder

I don't think there's anything much in DX11.1 that will make a difference in gaming anyway.

20. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

...Nope. Still don't want it.