1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays ~24in 1080p+ IPS Monitor for <$300 US

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LordLuciendar, 27 Apr 2012.

1. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

Here are the models I have found:

ASUS ProArt PA238T

Acer B243pwl Kmbdrz

Dell U2412M

NEC AS241W-BK

NEC MultiSync EA232WMi

LG IPS231B-BN

Any votes for one over the other. The monitors will be going on monitor mounts (I am buying 5, 3 for me, 2 for the wife) so stands are unimportant. I currently have Acer business series monitors, I am a big fan of ASUS, and I have heard good things about Dell monitors (though I hate Dell) so those three are competing for the top slot, but I will listen to any advise.

I am also getting one of these: Acer T231H bmid for my desk :).

2. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Whichever one has the best warranty and the thinnest bezel I guess.

The second NEC you listed looks nice.

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Pretty much all of them use the same LG panels... so it comes down to price to extra features and overall build quality really. Personally I avoid anything Acer, but any of the others... Also if you can live with glossy and squaretrade warranty there are some Korean off brand that have been getting very good reviews like Catleap of which you can get 27" at about $350.

4. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

How do you find out what panels are in the monitors? I wish I could figure out where to find specs like that... it's difficult enough to find the panel type spec.

I'm actually a big fan of the Acer V and B series monitors, they are really well built, physically, and they use decent panels from my experience. I don't really know about the intermediate electronics though. I wouldn't touch an Acer computer with a 10 foot pole though.

I've decided against 27in this time round. My priorities are: cost under $300> VESA 100 mount> resolution> DPI > size> color accuracy> LED backlight> gaming performance.

5. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Finding out the exact panel model is sometimes hard, but since like 90% of all IPS variants are made by LG it's just one of those things... So like I said, it mostly comes down to extra features like color gamut, input types, etc, etc, and overall build quality to budget. Most of them are more or less the same quality on the panel level since they are getting cranked out of the same factories. I don't have personal experience with most of those, but NEC multisync would be my top pick, followed by the LG out of your short list.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Just to say,but rememebr it doesn't reflect your experience.
    No one on this forum liked their ASUS monitor, including the model mentioned. This include the image it provides and problems.

7. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

8. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Can't speak for the others monitors there, but having just got the Dell, I can whole-heartedly recommend getting one of them.

9. GoodBytes

I don't think he is looking at a budget IPS monitor. If it competes with the budget market, expect the same as TN panels. Cheap product quality, and a screen that will be like TN panels, but with some of the IPS panel advantage, such as the wide view angle. You will most likely not have the better colors, or just a bit. Nothing massive.

10. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

Some would hotly contest that if it contains both the words Acer and IPS, it is a "budget" IPS monitor. I am in fact looking for the best bang for my buck. 24in, IPS, and sub $300 US is difficult to find, so budget might be the right term.

Of the monitors in my office, 7 are Acer V or B series, 1 is HP, another is Dell, the Acers have remarkable build quality for a cheap monitor, and as good of color as the HP. The Dell is more color accurate, but, at $700-1000 it was by far the most expensive monitor originally. It is also the oldest monitor, circa 2003, so difficult to compare with modern monitors.

I'm not a huge fan of NEC, but I recognize that they make excellent professional monitors and are an industry leader, so worth considering, and the wife is a big fan of LG. She uses their monitors at work and has an LG TV. Personally, I like Samsung displays, but I don't see any 24in IPS Samsung displays, and reviews here have convinced me not to look elsewhere.

My short list isn't a short list at all. I have no idea which models to consider, just that I want to stay under $300 US, 1080p, IPS, and get as big as possible between 23in and 25in. It's just not an upgrade from my 22s if it's not bigger, despite my biggest interest being in resolution, not size.

11. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Considering his budget is $300 - I would say "cheap" IPS is probably an apt description when you consider the average IPS price to be north of $600.

As for your claims about quality? Maybe they're right. But I'm likely unconvinced. Having an entrenched notion that IPS /must/ be expensive to be good, and that the technology /must/ remain priced out of the reach of most people seems to overlook the fact that technology gets cheaper over time and is meant to come down in price. IPS has been artificially inflated for years, and it's about time it left the stage and allowed new technologies to start taking the lead like OLED.

Considering the products will not be released for several more weeks- your claims are at best, speculative.

12. GoodBytes

You have not followed my posts often, so you don't know my monitors groups:
    I group them as: Budget, Entry level, and good (for consumer level monitor). I call the "good" group "decent", or "OK" if I talk or the tread is talking about professional monitors.

My evaluation of a monitor doesn't look at the image output only, like reviewers. I look at the product as a whole. That means, image output (obviously), stand feature, monitor build quality, stand quality, features, inputs, on screen menu navigation, on screen menu features, after sale service and warranty.

While my monitor in groups can change (I mean I am not a reviewers, I have to work with what I have, this includes user input that I ask and get from this forum, the internet, reviews site I trust, and issues. Plus what I believe is a great computer experience, which I based on user feedback on this forum. I also like to ask users for pictures.

Also I always encourage people to read reviews, and not take my claims as "the law", if you will. Because I am not a reviewer. I am just a guy that did and does a lot of research on monitors, stay or try to stay up to date on monitors, and collects lots of user feedback, and love helping people the best I can.

My grouping doesn't look at laptops monitors. I am focused on desktop, and I already explained many times, why I don't and can't really dive into the budget market, let alone TN panels. Because as you are reading this, I won't be surprised if 5 monitors just got released, which provide no benefit other than a different look from a previous model, that is still being sold, and not pulled. And they are so many, that even reviewers don't bother to review them, as they are just so many. Also the review sites I trust, doesn't look at budget monitor either... so I can't provide any info on them, other than suggest the basics, which I believe will provide a better experience in using their computer, such as stand, non-glossy, and so on. Notice also that I didn't comment on each monitor on this forum. All I can talk about is the Dell U2412, one of the NEC's, and the LG, and say what I said about ASUS monitors, which as mentioned is based on feedback I got on this forum specifically over the years.

I tend to not stuck a monitor in a group.. because sometimes it might have a feature that I would put under a lower group, but the rest surpasses it, for example. So I move these monitor position, based on the user needs. But overall this is how I look at these monitors:

Oh and the bellow refers to IPS panels, specifically. But it doesn't mean that a TN panel, or PVA, or MVA, etc.. doesn't reach the group.. We are talking on this thread about IPS panel, so I explain my groups for IPS's panels. But it's quiet similar to other panel technology. If we were taking about TN panels.. all of them are 6-bit panel (TN technology limitation, or at least what looks like it as their isn't any TN panel that is more than 6-bit colors on the market), I would look at view angles instead, just for an example.

"Good" group tend to be:
    - True 8-bit panel
    - Fully adjustable stand
    - high-grade CCFL backlight
    - non glossy anywhere.
    - provides in some way a good out of the box experience in term of image output. If you need to buy a color calibrator because green appears blue, and pink appears red, then I won't put it in group.. if you get what I mean, by my exaggeration example. But that does NOT mean that the monitor in the good category have pitch point accurate color either. I mean we ARE talking about consumer level monitors, and to most people who don't do professional work. Beside those who does, obviously already have their trusty color calibrator in hand already, and calibrate their screen to pitch point perfection monthly, if not more often.
    - company provide good or above after sale service and warranty service
    - Color processor provided
    - Black light bleeding is difficult to see at proper illumination that fits the current environment, obviously when looking straight to it, on a full black screen
    - Very good response time, acceptable input lag.

"Entry level"
    - eIPS panel (6-bit colors)
    - fully adjustable stand, or near that
    - high grade white LED backlight
    - non glossy everywhere
    - company provide good or good enough after sale service and warranty service
    - can have some interesting features
    - Basic color processor, or a well designed defined circuit to replace the color processor it lacks.
    - A little bit of backlight bleeding is visible when looking straight to it on a full black screen, but nothing really distracting.
    - Good response time, acceptable input lag.

"Budget" (very broad at the moment, I might make a group between Entry level and budget, or make a new group and shift things.. but this is for now.)
    - eIPS panel
    - colors out of the box are meh, and needs to be adjusted before getting started
    - cheap white LED's so expect a heavy blue tint on everything
    - glossy screen or the monitor product itself is mostly glossy
    - non adjustable stand (tilt only, doesn't count)
    - company provide a low quality after sale service and warranty service
    - warranty coverage is very low and questionable to even consider a warranty (when you have a ~9 dead pixel warranty... this is just silly. The monitor is clearly broken to a point of non-usability, even if it's on corners, at 5-6 dead pixels, let alone a single white pixel. Might as well say 99% needs to be dead pixel to cover the monitor, or provide no warranty at all. I saw monitor with 90 day warranty. I mean come on! Offer a proper warranty or don't. Also if no one answers the phone when you call, and need to leave a message.. same thing, this is a abysmal.
    - No on screen menu. A monitor that has no on screen menu, and just have a few brightness level to go through them, will need to have A LOT of positives point to get out of this bracket, in my book. That is just plan silly, to not have an onscreen menu.
    - no color processor, cheap circuitry, colors are off and very difficult to adjust.
    - Backlight bleeding is very visible.
    - Not very good response time or OK ones, acceptable to abysmal input lag.
    - Monitor shakes or moves when you adjust it, or hit the table.

Here is what I expect from LG budget IPS panels:
    eIPS panel 6-bit colors, no color processor (obviously), non adjustable stand (again, tilt only, doesn't count), cheap white LED's, 1 year warranty, no on screen menu, or a very basic one, and OK response time. I have seen LG low end... and OOOHHH boy they are low end. Insult to humanity even (no exaggeration). Monitor in question was a TN panel 19inch. The monitor was so light you can float it with balloons, if you press on it you can and will (because I've done it) bend the plastic heavily. The stand is lighter than a feather, and so cheap, that I broke it after removing it and put it back a second time. The colors profile are Standard, cold and warm.. which you can rename to: Cold, Very cold, "just a blue screen". The backlight are not even white LED's. They are blue LED's. Hence why the color modes are so blue. Crazy amount of backlight bleeding, affecting color, very visible. VGA and DVI plug can move if you move the plug. This is showing signs that it might break over time if you move the monitor a lot. Plastic does a cracking sound, heavily everywhere, and this a new monitor. Monitor was ~100$ Canadian

So that is how I group the monitors. And again, this is not hard coded thing. A monitor can move form one group to another as I get more info that favors or the contrary it, where it moves down.

While IPS panel or more like eIPS panel production costs lowered, indeed, especially as they become much more popular, engineering, R&D, warranty service, after sale service, warranty coverage all costs a lot of money. Why Logitech product are so expensive? Because even a hammer won't break their product into peaces as they are so well build, your RMA call is (in the case of Canada) is directed at their New York office... not India, will last 5min.. tops 10min. Wait time is at most 1-2min, even instant. No refurbished product is given to you, and they don't care about your currently broken mouse/keyboard or wtv (they tell you to throw it), and most of the time, depending on how old your mouse is, wont' even ask you to fax or e-mail your proof of purchase. Lost your proof of purchase? No problem, they ask you to cut the USB cable end or your product, and put that in an envelop to send to them. So shipping is nothing (at worst), and you have your new mouse/keyboard wtv you called for, in less than in week at your door. If you are interested, there is a tread here on this forum, on Logitech above and beyond service, so you don't have to take my word from it. And also Consumerist (Consumer Report blog site), also have many posts on Logitech above and beyond service.

This kind of service cost money. Same for R&D. Nvidia GPU.. a new architecture takes about 2000 engineers. +-500 people, at an average wage of 100k per year, for 2-3 years. Plus add marketing, HR, administration, and all that. Do the math.. NOW you see why Nvidia cards are on the expensive side. Same for AMD. The actual GPU cost a few dollars to do, same for the circuit board.

Last edited: 29 Apr 2012
    The_Beast likes this.
  13. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

I agree with the above, and yes, I have read the monitors sticky. Unfortunately, I am still a bit lost. I have a budget that isn't going to magically increase, and I cannot afford a "good" IPS monitor for under $300 US unless there is some model that I have not heard of. Dell U2412M is as close as I can get, and I doubt I can get it for my budget. If the point of all of this is that I should give up on looking for an IPS panel at my budget, then go ahead and say so. I can grab a monitor with a TN panel for much cheaper and hope that I can afford IPS next time round. I have been surviving just fine with 22in 1680x1050 TN panels for quite some time. In fact, I might just hold off on the purchase altogether... but ultimately, I don't want to. I want a 27in 2560x1440 (or 30in 2560x1600) IPS panel with color calibration... but at over $1000 a pop... yet that's just not going to happen... remember, I need 5 of these.

So... got to make do. What I need is not a strip down analysis of the models I posted, but recommendations within my price range that might give me what I want or pointers to where I can find out the details I want. At this point I have to search for reviews of each model number to, possibly, figure out what panel it has and whether or not it's junk. For over 100 models with 1080p+ from 23in up... that's a lot of sorting.

14. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

If you want a straightforward answer, avoiding the mundane arguments about bits, and panels, and other things till everyone falls asleep then it's fairly clear: If you don't plan on gaming, then an e-IPS panel will be better than a TN panel. A low-end IPS is still a very good monitor.

Here's a good deal to consider: http://ncix.com/products/?sku=59771&vpn=IPS231P-BN&manufacture=LG Electronics&promoid=1058 - 23" LG e-IPS monitor $310 slashed down to $184 making it a bargain if you're buying a bunch of them. It has a matte display, pivot mount. Has DVI/VGA and if you need HDMI you can always get a $5 DVI to HDMI cable. If it's for work/photo/office use it's an improvement over TN panels.

If you're a fan of Asus then consider the Asus PA238QR [ http://ncix.com/products/?sku=69432&vpn=PA238QR&manufacture=ASUS ] - very similar to the LG. However the Asus does have HDMI and Displayport. Seeing as they are more or less identical beyond that I would opt for the Asus. The "Q" (not QR) model has a 10-bit LUT but it appears there are some complaints about backlight bleed (greater than other models) on the Asus PA238 series.

Now if you found an Asus PA246Q under $400? That would be an excellent choice. Unfortunately I've only seen them for as low as $425.

At a $300 budget it is worth entertaining IPS monitors- I find diminishing returns with TN+F beyond $200 so you're not in the wrong ballpark for wanting an IPS. As your expectations are likely based on long-term exposure/experience with TN+F monitors then I'm sure you'll be happy with e-IPS.

LordLuciendar likes this.
  15. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

Is there any way to tell if the Acer B243PWL Kbmdrz uses an 8 bit panel or not?

It is similar in price and specifications to the Dell U2412M, but I really need to know if it is 8 bit before I can consider it honestly as an option. I have narrowed my choices down to the Acer, Dell, and LG IPS231B-BN... but I would like 24in rather than 23in.

16. GoodBytes

All of the monitor you mentioned are all 6-bit color per channel panels.
    While I can't say for sure for the Acer one, as no info is available. Usually they mention such specs, and the price is too low to be an 8-bit panel.

Usually such monitor or the ones that are interesting are sent to reviewers. If there is no reviews, usually it's a sign that it's a bad, or very ordinary monitor.

17. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

The Asus PA246Q is an 8-bit panel + FRC with a 12-bit look-up table.

The rest are 6-bit.

18. GoodBytes

This monitor was not mentioned.
    The ASUS ProArt PA238T is what was mentioned.

The Asus PA246Q is really not worth the money. The U2410 is a bit better (faster), a lot more features, better OSD menu, better stand, and better warranty service and coverage.
    You can have the U2410 for 450$ Canadian directly from Dell with a phone call, and shipping is free. Or even ~430$ if you wait for Dell Hot deals of the day events.

19. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

I feel as though I am spinning my wheels here. Hoping that a product exists with a 24" 8 bit panel below $300 is wishing for the impossible.

From what I can tell after researching it, the LG IPS231B-BN is in fact a 6 bit panel, where the IPS231P-BN was an 8 bit panel but is now discontinued. Even so, both of these facts are difficult to discern from the resources I have been able to find.

There is no information available from Acer about the panel, but I would estimate that due to it's price, it is 6 bit as well. With such a similar price to the Dell and specifications which are very similar, I expect the two probably use the same panel.

That said, I am probably going to buy the Acer and see what happens. I have a good deal on it at my distribution. I wonder if it'll be worth it for me to crack it open and see what the numbers on the panel are.

20. GoodBytes

Actually it was found that the IPS231P-BN was a 6-bit panel.
    The same mistake was done with the now discontinued Dell U2311H.