1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 24inch or 22inch

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Denis_iii, 6 May 2008.

1. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

You wouldn't consider using the monitor speakers... surely :confused: :eeek:

It's a monitor after all - not a telly... and you buy a monitor for it's picture quality... not its audio capabilities :idea:

2. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

yea, but what i truly want is a 24inch monitor with good speakers to watch movies on, play games, watch tele on, hook up consoles to etc etc if they can do good speakers on tv's why cant they do em on monitors. it really astounds me as it would make for a much cleaner desktop enviroment....i wonder how that dell crystal monitor speakers sounds

3. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Speakers on monitors are stupid and a waste of time IMO. They'll inevitably be rubbish quality plus they make the display look rubbish. I'd much rather have a nice thin bezel around the screen and a good, seperate pair of speakers. :)

4. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

hmmm

it might even be a nice idea for a mod. I guess i could get some cheap 2.0 or 2.1 logitech speakerset and try to build them into a monitor. Mine is about 10cm deep, which should be more then enough i'd say. :)

5. EternalIllusion

EternalIllusion What's a Dremel?

Seriously. I never knew why any monitors are made with built-in speakers, but now i see there is apparently some demand for them.

Speaking of monitors, i cant decide if i should finally upgrade. I have a 17inch LCD and a 19inch CRT side by side right now, but CRT's piss me off like never before. There is a very noticeable difference in eye strain. I want to throw that thing out and get a larger LCD.

This 22inch http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009094 is the most appealing right now, but apparently has the same resolution as the 20inch model. I know some of you must have it, so I wanted ask how the quality is? Is there any noticeable difference in favor of the 20inch?

6. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

:/ im using a 19" widescreen for both my 360 and pc. it's fine for, only 720 tho.

7. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

24" dell here and its great...really great. my 360 looks amazing on it. +1 for the 24inch, the prices now are so good you cant say no, plus that yuraka display looks amazing for the money.

8. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

If you get a 24" don't get a TN panel. TNs are supposed to be good for gaming because they have fast response, but according to a recent X-Bit Labs article no current 24" TNs have response time compensation so regardless of what the specs say they are actually slower than a 24" PVA or IPS panel. Which makes cheapness their only advantage.

9. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

It's a big advantage.

I'm looking at a Dell 2407 or 2707, both of which are PVAs, but I can't tell a difference between the TN and PVA pannels and the price delta is significant. I reallyt need to spend some time sitting in front of one (or more) to get a feel for what I really need.

10. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

i can tell you that the difference is huge. Put the screens next to eachother, and you really cant find what the difference exactly is.Play a game for 6 hours, and your eyes will tell the difference. :D

11. rls669

rls669 i can has dremel?

Another thing to consider is vertical viewing angle. TN panels are horrible in this respect. I have a Samsung 245BW and at a normal viewing distance there's a big colour gradient from the top to the bottom of the screen. I can tilt the monitor and choose which portion has correct colour, but 24" is big enough that unless you're far away some part of it will be outside the optimal angle. FWIW, I wish I had saved up a bit more for a PVA panel. "You can get used to it" isn't something I want to say about a monitor.

12. netsky

netsky What's a Dremel?

13. nitrous9200

nitrous9200 What's a Dremel?

I have the 22" Acer and it's a really good monitor especially for the price. I got it $10 cheaper though. So if anyone's looking for a recommendation, there's mine!

14. EternalIllusion

How are the viewing angles on it?

15. MontanaFX

MontanaFX Sent from the skies

The bigger the better IMO

16. Peter187

Peter187 What is a Dremel?

Check the spec's of all the monitor you looking at cause I got the Acer 24" and it uses 90watts a few days later I seen the BenQ 24" monitor almost the same price and it uses 55watts.

Anyway I got no problems with me 24" much better than a 19"

At my work we have about thirteen 22" monitors next to each other and working on a smaller screen is really annoying.

Like MontannaFX says the bigger the better.

17. EternalIllusion

Alright. I ordered the Acer AL2216Wbd. Egg has free shipping on it right now.

Tags: