1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel's Haswell chips tipped for June launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 Jan 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. b1candy

b1candy What's a Dremel?

quad-read Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI) support? What's this?

3. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

4. b1candy

b1candy What's a Dremel?

I looked at the wiki, but would actually like to know what it means in terms of affect on normal day-to-day usage, and how the new version is different to the old and what that means overall. All the other features mentioned in the article list have been studied to death on other sites, so I'm wondering why SPI was called out.

5. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

SPI is a low-power serial interface faster than I2C that's typically use in embedded systems. It's usually used to connect up sensors like accelerometers. Alongside the 10W parts, I'm guessing it's part of Intel's plan to make Core processors viable for use in tablets by supporting this interface on-chip.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

From my very little understanding its mainly a power saving feature, AFAIK its used instead of SMBus when reading things like information on RAM.
    SPI is a upgraded version of SMBus in turn its a upgraded version of I²C

7. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

It means what it says - the SPI controller is able to read 4 inputs simultaneously, thereby quadrupling the read speed (of things attached to SPI bus, such as system ROM). It means **** all for your everyday use.

8. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

While you're correct that SMBus is derived from I2C, SPI is completely independent of both of them. It has very little in common: single master, separate read and write channels, arbitrary clock speed, no requirement for open-collector interface or pull-up resistors...

As already pointed out by r3loaded, this quad-SPI interface is most likely for low bandwidth peripherals like accelerometers, a touchscreen controller or a compass.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I stand corrected :thumb:
    Though i was going on what info i got from the wiki.
    Where it mentions "Higher throughput than I²C or SMBus" so just assumed it was related.

10. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Shame it's been pushed back I was hoping to grab one of these when they come out. Time to jump off the AMD Bandwagon for the first time me thinks...

11. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

The comments section for bit-tech articles really is dragging up the average for the rest of the internet isn't it? It's refreshing to come here after the usual rage/flame/troll responses on just about every other site. Just thought I'd mention it.

12. Si_the-dude

Si_the-dude Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean

Is anyone thinking about upgrading from Sandybridge or even Ivy to Haswell?

13. NetSphere

NetSphere What's a Dremel?

I guess the upgrade will depend on the improvement % from Ivy.

For now, I'll forget about Haswell until the reviews starts popping up everywhere. I've had enough of "wait for it, wait for it... wait for it... oops, another delay.... wait for it and here is another delay.. and then done!".

14. OcSurfe

OcSurfe Uber Noob

not sure if ill upgrade happy with my 3770k,
    but as always its all dependant on the price to performance increase

15. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Looking forward to see how this gets on when it comes out, may finally 'convince' myself to move on from my trusty 1366 setup after bypassing sandy and ivy.

But then that would mean a shiny new GPU and monitor to make sure I get the most out of it, I mean it just would be rude not to. :)