1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware The SSD Catchup

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Baz, 8 Jan 2013.

1. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

2. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Nice to see the newer models here, but I'd like to see the force3 series included please....

3. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Its a Sandforce 2281 controller - simply use the Vertex 3 results.

Same applies for Kingston HyperX, and the large number of sandforce partner drives. They all run the same, Sandforce supplied firmware.

4. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

More catch-up posts on more devices more frequently, please!
    I oft come to Bit when I'm deciding what hardware to buy, but it can get difficult to figure out what's good or not comparatively to other bits of hardware previously released.

5. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Will do! Due to time constraints, we weren't able to look at these drivers on their individual launches; hopefully bundling them all together will allow for easier comparisons.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

nice to see `regular` use going over sata 2 speeds (4k 16QD and above) - been a few years though :(

if I was to make a request - It would be to compare the Plextor M5 PRO with the new marvell 9187 controller ; as IMO its of `this` generation rather than the 830/vertex3/crucial M4 ones.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Great roundup, thanks guys! Not sure which one I'd go for out of that lot, the limited write-life of the 840 non-Pro does give me pause though, as I tend to keep my drives forever.

8. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Glad to see my M4 isn't antiquated yet.

9. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

So PRO version look like better options then. On the other hand I wonder how long would they survive in ours home-users environments..

10. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Thanks very much for this... Much appreciated.

I did notice an error, on the graphs the 840 250GB is referred to as 840 256GB.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

where is intels drivers and there custom sandforce drivers would be nice to see how they perform vs the others.

12. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Far from it. it's aged remarkably well considering its been on sale so long. Crucial and Micron clearly know what it's doing, and don't look to be in any hurry to replace it. I think a TLC version will be on the cards though.

13. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Wow the 840 Pro and the Vector are incredibly close. Even in terms of price, there's only 3 quid between them!

14. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Cache-ing SSDs ...have BT looked at them ...are you gonna look at them?

Any opinions?

15. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

2 years ago, they'd have been worth it, but now cost per GB has come down so much, what's the point? 256GB SSDs are less than £150. Hybrid HDDs typically just end up caching Windows files, so you dont get the benefit of game loads etc, just fast boot times.

16. Xir

Xir Modder

the Samsung 840 (non Pro) doesn't really distance itself from the 830 does it?
    At least at the 128GB level there's the price difference to consider.

17. warriorpoet

warriorpoet What's a Dremel?

The Force 3 is comparable to OCZ's Agility 3, and not in the same tier as the reviewed drives. Corsair Force GT/GS performance is in the same class as the Neutron GTX with markedly different strengths/ weaknesses, but are an inferior price/ performance/ reliability proposition at this point.

If you want to compare SSDs, anandtech provides a useful tool here.

For more interesting SSD reading, see here: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6489/playing-with-op

According to the latest TechReport podcast, Samsung is correcting dirty drive performance issues in the next firmware revision. It's apparently due to a new TRIM/ garbage collection algorithm that doesn't function as expected.

18. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

I'll never buy an OCZ SSD ever again, even if they can make it back to acceptable levels of QA.

Cheap can never make up for appalling quality and the time lost trying to get it to work, returning the defective product, purchasing the brand you should have the first time, and installing the replacement. Why bother when OCZ is little cheaper than the alternatives?

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

@Adnoctum, never had a problem with my Vertex and always found they reply very quickly to problems on there forums. Always seem ok with issuing RMA if they think it maybe the drive.
    I guess its like any company some people will always have bad experiences like i had once with Seagate.

20. KithKhan

KithKhan A dremel is all you need.

@Adnoctum; I've had at least two of each OCZ ssd in a RAID0 array. Updating firmware was a pain with older models, but I've never had a problem with them besides that.

I know positive anecdotes don't prove anything, but I'm not sure there's any substantial basis to the perception that OCZ has a quality issue either.

Tags: Add Tags