1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Zotac Zbox ID42 Plus review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 15 Feb 2013.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

Shirly an HTPC really should have optical drive for BluRay? The one I have does BluRay, HD-DVD, and DVD/CD. The HD-DVD in particular I thought was pretty cool, because I bought a bunch of my favourite films in that format really cheap.

3. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

What O/S was used for your testing? Windows 7?

4. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I think they use Win8 now...

5. Cleggmeister

Cleggmeister Of reasonable knowledge...

Looks like my WDTV will remain in place for a while longer. I don't really understand the infrastructure behind HTPC - surely you're better following uPnP/DLNA and having dedicated servers/renderers on the network?

6. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

D'oh! Can't believe I forgot to put that in. Derp. Windows 7 Home Premum 64-bit, adding it in to the article now.

7. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I agree. I have a WDTV, a PS3 and have played with WMC and XMBC on a home built HTPC. Of all of them, the WDTV is probably the simplest to setup and easiest to use, especially for my kids. I am still using the PS3 however as it is there for the kids to play games and I don't need yet another box under the TV. All my media is already on a NAS.

If we didn't need the PS3, I would use the WDTV. The setup and maintenance of a home built HTPC takes time I don't currently have, despite being much more customisable and powerful.

Last edited: 15 Feb 2013
  8. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

Had one of the earlier ones of these in my bedroom as a HTPC with a small SSD it is virtually silent and performance is very good. For the price it's a great bit of kit.

9. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

The thing with an HTPC, don't most people use components they have kept after upgrading their main PCs? So building one this yourself removes a lot of the cost.

10. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

If you live in one room, yes.

We've got XBMC clients in 5 rooms (plus several laptops). Discs go into my desktop and out via the server in the loft.

We've got aging acer revo (Nvidia ION) based in a couple of rooms (lossless FLAC but not DTS-MA), but switched to AMD E350 type boxes where HD audio needed. The other clients are laptops (Intel SB/IVB).

It's amazing how much baking happens when you stick a TV and XBMC in the kitchen to keep the girlfriend occupied ;) ...

EDIT: Basically my point was small and quiet is 90% of what I look for (Cat5 in, HDMI out) cost is 10% .. tried the old bits approach but the solution is always big and clunky.

Tags: Add Tags