1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage 256gb m4 or 830

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrapBag, 8 Jun 2012.

1. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Fair enough - though i personally wouldn't choose to spam just for free shipping...

So that takes the difference to just under £37... ...but you're still comparing very different animals here.

Well, i similarly commented on the idea of saving a few quid & getting a A3 (or other brand async SF for that matter) as it's just not comparing like with like...

The thing with that 256GB 830 @ ~£147 is that, for some unknown reason, it's simply a form factor of the drive that's been getting the heavy discounting - forgetting the accessories which are of very negligible value imho, it's a ~£200(+) SSD that's in the same general league as the toggle & MLC nand SFs, the V4 & the Corsair PP...

...when looking at the 240/256GB capacity mark of course.

- The former, assuming you're in the majority who don't get bsod issues, having much better tech but being slightly slower... though the cheapest toggle nand one atm appears to be the Wildfire @ £295 which is hellishly expensive in comparison... ...albeit that the compression does make the MLC nand one far more robust & even an intel 520 (as one of the more expensive models) is ~£250... ...others being as low as ~£170.

- The V4 is a faster SSD, OCZ can (& are) actually support it properly in house rather than the f/w being down to a 3rd party (other than that there 'may' be a problem with the 128GB model on some intel boards that needs sorting with a f/w update, it appears that it's now stable), but uses sync nand... ...but, @ ~£210, is around the price that the other 830s are...

- & the PP is relatively comparable to the 830, - but ~£245.

So, with the high end consumer choice for 6Gb/s SSDs being largely between these 4 atm, that one of them can be gotten for between ~£25 & ~£145 cheaper than the others atm just by it being an alt form factor makes it a winner imho...

...though, naturally, 'if' you have very specific & critical data transfer needs then you should re-look on the basis of that metric.

Anyway, 'if' you want a lower end 6Gb/s SSD that'll be worse than the M4 & whatnot (so certainly not great as a OS/apps/etc drive), by all means buy that Plextor...

...but it's (obviously) not where i'd put my money nor actively suggest anyone else did.

[NB 'if' they had all been ~£150, i'd have been torn between the V4 & a toggle nand SF - almost certainly going for a pair of the latter though... but they weren't & only had £300 to spend so...]

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

very much aware of the differences - but for `just over` £100 for a 256 SSD is nothing short of outstanding - but i heartily agree that spending ` a little` more for the samsung or crucial is a better option.

personally - i will stay very very far away from OCZ , bitten by the Vertex 3 (as have many others) , and anyway the vertex 4 is using the marvell controller (the new indi one wasnt ready for the V4)

3. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

it's just making sure that other people know... it being a forum & all...

& good that we at least agree about the 830 being a very good option - though, as it appears to be cheaper than the 256GB M4 atm, i can't quite see why the M4 would be a sensible purchase... The 830 is just a much better SSD for most uses, & (again) uses better nand.

Oh & hopefully, my purchasing a couple of them, does prove that i'm not an OCZ fan-boy - it's always about the best overall purchase at the time...

Yeah, obviously it's your call about whether you ever buy OCZ again or not... ...though i personally believe you should be blaming SF as the issues weren't down to OCZ... ...& they did more to provide workarounds & test & feedback to SF & whatnot than any other manufacturer who had 6Gb/s SFs out last year.

if i'm remembering correctly, it took SF something like 5 months to admit that there could be an issue - whereas OCZ were providing solutions that worked for lots of people much earlier.

it's all perspective though, & mine's different from yours over this.

& naturally i know that that the V4 uses *a* Marvell controller (though i don't know whether it's been categorically stated yet whether it's the same one as in the M4, PP, etc or the next model up)... ...a major difference though is with the f/w which, as OCZ are now 'in charge of', means that, along with dramatic performance improvements, any problems can be sorted internally.

Well, based upon the feedback on their forum, a cold boot/sleep issue that 'could' occur in certain situations with 1.4 (predominantly laptops & Macs afaik), has been sorted within a couple of weeks via an interim f/w release...

...which is akin to the turnaround that intel & Crucial & whatnot have had when they've had f/w issues in the past & have had full responsibility for the f/w.

Anyway, that's probably enough words... ...other than to say again that it's good that we finally agreed on something.

Last edited: 10 Jun 2012