1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Source points to Haswell Z87 USB bug

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 8 Mar 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

An Intel chipset with bug!!!! Blimey that's unheard of ;)

3. rollo

rollo Modder

This is the reason people do testing, rumours are us Cheesecake.

4. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

Indeed. If this is indeed true, I suspect Intel may move only the C2 (or newer revisions) to final manufacturing...

5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Can't see them going to market before everything's ironed out, i highly doubt another SB issue.

Possible flaw with unreleased tech. Not sure what there is to take from that really. Anonymous rumours, about as reliable as astrology.

6. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Hardware logic design - it literally is far more complicated than rocket science.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

7. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Well I for one hope the motherboard manufacturers stand by their guns again and refuse to buy any of the C1 chips at all, the military and businesses wouldn't settle for it why should we as consumers be forced to pay for their mistake and the hours of grief and misery it would cause not to mention the harm, however minor to the PC industry as a whole.

8. POMLORE

POMLORE What's a Dremel?

To be fair if you have an SSD its not an issue, sleep mode should be dissabled

9. ffjason

ffjason What's a Dremel?

Is this really news?

This has been able to happen with Windows Sleep mode for a few years now - across the last 3 generations of chipset!! I recall first encountering this on X58 chipset but it was a bug before this as well. It's more likely to be a software bug rather than hardware related. Something Microsoft should have fixed years ago.

It's specifically related to USB Suspend (a windows feature) and the ability for hard drives to enter standby mode (another windows feature).

The fix is obviously to disable sleep, usb suspend and the hard drive time out in the Power Config. However, turning off the hard drive suspend & sleep mode feature in the Registry is preferred.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's not a Windows feature, it's part of the formal USB specification and supported on all operating systems that implement USB. My Linux systems, for example, support all three USB power modes quite happily (Attached, Powered, Suspended) without running Windows.
    That's not a Windows feature either. That's part of the IDE specification and was adopted by the SATA specification as well using the same command set. The package hdparm on Linux allows fine-grained control over hard-drive power modes (Active/Idle, Standby and Sleep.)
    That's not a fix, that's a workaround. A fix lets you use the system as the various specifications require; a workaround makes it not crash any more. All my Linux boxes are left running 24/7, but enter S3 standby at night to save electricity. The hard drives and USB devices enter their low-power states as expected, and come back again when they wake up in the morning.

11. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

All good points G-man but has this moved beyond an anonymous rumour? I can't really see it worth debating until it has.

12. ffjason

ffjason What's a Dremel?

@Gareth

I get your point, and I was wrong to refer to them as "Windows Features", and I'm not aware that this has ever been broken in Linux.

It's the Windows Implementation that's broken, that was what I meant.

I suppose this would be bad news for linux users. But my original point was that this feature hasn't worked in Windows for the best part of the last 5 years and possibly longer. It's not something I've ever used and not something I will ever plan to use until it works consistently within my main OS.

My experience in this comes from working for a systems integrator and having seen thousands of systems come back to us with issues relating to this (it can even cause BSOD's). Needless to say that we have disabled those features by default to prevent further problems. As far as we are concerned the problem is fixed :)

Last edited: 10 Mar 2013