1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD announces first Richland APU parts

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 13 Mar 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

"the Richland APUs are claimed to offer a 20 to 40 per cent boost in performance over current-generation APU products"

Presumably they're referring to graphics performance.?

Whilst improvement to gaming performance is welcome, CPU performance is where these chips will still be lacking compared to Intel, IPC per core will no doubt still be as second rate as the desktop parts.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Given that it's graphics performance that leads AMD to claim the new A10 is "50 per cent faster" than a Core-i7, I'm going with "yes." We'll know more once actual benchmark results are available.

4. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

From what I understand the new Richland APU will have ever more refined graphics core, better memory controller (I guess some one is listening), better energy efficiency and best of all you can pair it up with different architectural generations for Crossfire.

This is like the 2013 version of current APU. Couple tweaks, some mods and hopefully it should hold us off til Kaveri comes at the end of the year.

I don't think this will send hordes of people for an upgrade but any one buying soon will still keep the APU in mind. As we all know Haswell is due this June, Richland is a beefed up better competitor for Haswell to face till the end of the year.

5. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I am keeping an eye on Richland but seeing as my problem with the A10-5800K is mainly CPU bound (emulators) I think I will hold off for Kaveri.

6. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

And here I thought the might actually do something useful like up the stream cores to IDK 500 this is basically the same amount of iGP power as before.

AMD really need to focus on what they do best low cost alternatives. with more stream cores they would really have a contender for general purpose gaming PCs. Either that or return to handcrafted CPU designs and give Intel a run for the money again. This makes me sad I really wish they would invest more in R&D.