1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows XP business users offered discount on Windows 8

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 9 Apr 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

April 20014?! Great, now my company will never ditch XP.

3. Ripitup121

Ripitup121 MMMMMMm watercooling....

Speaking from IT dept in a small company which has about 50% of its pc's still on XP. I think we would nearly foot the bill for upgrade to Win7 over that and keep office 2010. Its not going to be worth our time in the long run with the amount of call outs we would get to help people deal with the Win 8 features.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Whoopsie. I'd blame a sticky key, but let's face it: I use a Model F, that's never going to be a problem for me. Must still have the jitters from all the sugar yesterday...

Fixed, ta!

5. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Is it still possible for companies to go onto 7 rather than 8 or have they waited too long...?

6. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Aside from having the latest OS I really can't see any reason why a business would want W8 over W7 or a version of Linux.
    OK, they have to end support for Xp at some point but this could go very badly for them.

7. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Scan still has Windows 7 (Home) for sale £87 for an upgrade disc or £119 for a full retail disc.

8. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Most companies aren't on Windows 8 yet, the majority of them will still be on Windows 7.

As for XP, it'll be over 12 years since it was released by the time Microsoft turns off support. That's a long time to support an OS, or a long time to support anything - even car manufacturers are only required to support cars for 10 years after manufacture - and people need to realise that it's time to move to something else. It's not like they're even paying for the support, and to expect MS to keep supporting an old OS ad infinitum is not a reasonable expectation.

9. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

What I meant by that was, since businesses are essentially being forced to update from XP, why would they move to W8 over W7 or linux.
    To me Windows 8 just feels like a badly stitched together combination of 2 home OS's rather than a professional working environment, why would a business use that when there are other options.

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

@woodspoon, it really isn't as bad as that, and whilst they are upgrading their desktops to win 8, they should upgrade their servers to 2012, and start building apps specific to their business, that can be accessed from the modern interface, using remoteapps

11. roundyz

roundyz What's a Dremel?

12. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

I've been pleading with management at work to get everyone off XP. Since they didn't listen, I hope they get a sharp knee in the nuts next year when they can't get their hands on Win7 and the XP machines start gettting infected right and left. (Actually, I'll be getting a bit of a knee myself, since I'll be cleaning up part of mess, most likely...but I can still bitch to the peons about how management didn't listen.)

13. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I really can't see MS waiting 12 years to pull support on Vista - I wouldn't be surprised if MS stopped supporting it in 2014 or 2015.

14. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

I use Windows 8 and Office 2013 at work, and I really like it. When I have to be productive I just click the "Desktop" icon in Windows 8 and BAM, it's as productive as Windows 7. When I want to find something burried deep in the computer, I just return to the start screen and let the all-powerful search function find it for me.