1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other ...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by jrs77, 12 Apr 2013.

1. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 8 Jan 2018
  2. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Agreed, free-to-play is going to ruin mobile gaming, and there isn't really any need.

Also there is an option within iOS to disable IAPs if parents want to anyway, which I did purely so I don't accidentally spend £30 on some naff in game item.

Last edited: 12 Apr 2013
  3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Agreed I've always thought these kind of games are insidious

4. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

The choice should be left with the gamer, it was my choice to put money into Tribes Ascend. approx 18 months after that there's a GOTY version costing half what I paid with everything in it (although you still play the game to level up the items, or choose to buy gold). So in other words very close to the retail boxed buying cycle (ironically).

It's all down to how it's done, if CnC Generals 2 charges by the tank then I'll agree with you but parents who can be bothered to monitor their kids' usage online and gamers without kids shouldn't have their fun ruined for the few, and for the higher profile stories Apple UK should just tell parents to sue them or suck it up, no sympathy here.

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

and which company is named as one of the worst offenders?

EA

so surprised....

6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Most Free2Play games I've played have microtransactions as an option if you want to use them. Don't have to in any way though if you don't want to. Sure it's a bit of a slog to level some things up if you think you really need them, but nothing changes the mechanics really.

Hawken
    Firefall
    Warframe

Should these not exist because the option of microtransactions are there?

7. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Disagree there just needs to be tighter rules around it though.

Plus this investigation seems to be targeted at stuff on mobile platforms and farmville and that guff? Games like World of Tanks and DOTA are all free to play and are still very fun without putting money into them. I have paid for WoT now and again, but thats my decision. Should have the choice, but there needs to be control so these companies dont take advantage of children.

8. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I think this is the real point they're trying to make.

9. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Case in point: Candy Crush - my mum loves playing this game on her iPad, she replays each level until she has 3*'d it, but after a certain point you can't go any further without either spamming your 'facebook friends' (she has a facebook account, but she doesn't want to annoy her friends) or paying to unlock the next section (which she has done, twice). Now to my mind if you can't progress without paying it's not a F2P game...

10. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Actually I think that is the best kind of F2P, where if you have enjoyed the previous levels enough, then you buy the next lot and if you still aren't bored just keep buying the ones you want. Its more of a demo system than f2p but IMO it works quite well.

11. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

In that sense thats quite like the way they rereleased Fable at one point isn't it?

12. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

The titles that I've played thus far, microtransactions seem to only be for cosmetic things and those that can't be bothered to earn enough credit through playing and just pay for something.

No problems with these at all.

As for kids using parents credit card details on in-game items.... WHO THE HELL GIVES A CHILD ACCESS TO A CREDIT CARD!!! I'm almost 30 and I still don't trust myself enough to get a credit card.

adzc1987 likes this.
  13. adzc1987

adzc1987 Minimodder

^^ this the main problem is allowing your kid access to your iPad etc with in built Card Details etc. Even the simpsons "Tapped out" takes the piss with this! With Homer running up a $500 bill and stating he will say it was one of the kids an get the cash back.

I think the issue is more with Mobile games, like people have pointed out sometimes there is a cost at a certain level etc. personally as soon as i see "energy" which can be replenished or you can buy more, I will not go near, i dont like having a game that i can only play when it decides i have waited/paid enough.

More needs to be done to control the Mobile side of it, but imo, if your daft enough to let your child loose with your CC details on a phone....its your problem.