1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bethesda: Used games a concern

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 17 Apr 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. themassau

themassau What's a Dremel?

there games are really good and as you say, the modding community makes the difference between pc and consoles. just like cod 4 + some mods was fun bet the newer cods don't have these feature so i stopped buying it. they even learn from the modding because if they see wich mod is downloaded a lot they can put it in the next game.i still like single player because you can change the world. while the multiplayer is mostly do the same thing over and over again without any changes in the game-world.

3. Xir

Xir Modder

I can only speak for the WII as a console, used games aren't really a lot cheaper.
    -10% for a used game isn't worth it for me.

For the PC, used games, hmmm, I'm personally so far behind that I pick up my games on sale anyway.

4. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

In other news Mr Kipling has announced that they are exceedingly worried about the growing phenomenon of cake sharing, They claim that cakes cannot possibly survive if the practice continues and they are seeking ways to ensure that everybody who enjoys a slice pays their dues.

damien c likes this.
  5. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I just LOL'd quite hard at that. In a meeting. ^.^

6. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

That made me laugh so much that my sides are hurting :thumb:

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

JCBeastie is winning this particular comments thread.

8. sethlite

sethlite What's a Dremel?

Solution: 1) Reduce initial cost of games to encourage more gamers to buy at or close to release. 2) Make significant discounts to older games. To encourage new purchases, rather than used. 3) Make games worth the $50-60 that is being asked.

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

I can't help but think this is a major part of why second hand sales might have less of an effect. The whole second hand market is changing, retail shops aren't giving the return value or discounts for used games that buyers expect.

Last time I looked at Skyrim in a brick and mortar shop was in January and it was $55 new, $50 used. When you're already putting out just shy of release price for a year old game what's $5 more?

10. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

On the PC side of things with the way DLC is going, wouldn't surprise me if they released the game but then you needed to buy DLC to complete the game, a total crap way of doing it, but I think the newest Tiger Woods game from what I have heard you can not complete the pro tour side without all the courses which you need to buy as DLC.

11. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

You can buy used PC games? Since when? ;)

This PR guy is simply sounding off that the consoles should use DRM like PC has to stop the 2nd hand market, a bit pathetic as it is definitely not the reason why PC games are still profitable.

Obviously no one wants to admit piracy is the reason for games failing to sell on consoles as that would have various repercussions, so blaming 2nd hand sales is the easier target and JCBeastie is spot on with that logic.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

PC games and used games dont go together and have not done so since 2000 ish its been at least a decade since ive seen a used pc game for sale in a shop.

Shops were hit hard by CD key abuse so stopped taking them in.

13. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

"Single-player games aren't going anywhere,"

said Hines.

"Skyrim was a complete success"

What???

14. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

I believe he means in a 'here to stay' kind of way, not that they are failing.

15. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

I'm amused that they think that the people who buy the second hand games are all just going to rush out and buy full price ones if they manage to kill the market somehow. If they kill a perfectly legal market by making customers jump through hoops they're only going to make people more inclined to find another way to get it and they don't realistically have a chance at killing piracy. So why annoy people more?

Tags: Add Tags