1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Twin Galaxies starts charging for score submissions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 22 Apr 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

While I think charging for something like this is kinda lame, I'm sure the real reason behind this is to deter the kids who THINK they're really good but in actuality aren't at all. It's kind of like applying to the best college in your country - if the application is free, even the most un-qualified people will send in an application which is a real pain in the ass for the people who have to look at your stuff. Put a price in front of it and then only the people who are actually serious will pay.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Nah, it's a cash-grab by the new owners. Under the old Twin Galaxies rules, which didn't charge for submissions, a submission was only accepted if it broke an existing record. Nobody submitted a tape that showed 'em getting 100,000 on Donkey Kong, because the record was 86 million - you only submitted a tape if you'd broken that 86 million score.

If you've broken the 86 million score - without cheating - then there's no 'think' about it: you are really, really good.

(Incidentally, my high score on the rather crappy NES port of Donkey Kong, which misses out the conveyor stage? About 86,000. Yeah, I suck.)

4. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

king of kong guys was treated badly... the mitchel guy is a giant Ass!