1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asus introduces Poseidon watercooled graphics cards

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 4 Jun 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Personally I think it is a great idea, you said in the article 7970, does that mean the Poseidon cooling will be coming to both current and new gen graphics cards?

3. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Sounds expensive an air cooled card with a waterblock in case one day you want to water cool it.

Better off deciding what you want to do to begin with also water cooled cards are quite slim, this is bulky.

4. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

One thing or the other, not both, compromises performance and increases price, waste of time IMHO.

5. Pranja

Pranja Blackwolf

It is GTX 770.

6. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Now this is what's been needed for a long time. Hybrid cooling removing the need to risk voiding warranty on already expensive GPU. I am selling my 680 waterblock and have lost 3 screws from the original air cooler and thus if I need RMA I have probs. If the cost of this hybrid is reasonable then I'd certainly go for it. Also making the assumption that performance is compromised because it's dual cooling is rather silly.

That's a smart design and it looks great.

http://www.techpowerup.com/184911/asus-shows-off-republic-of-gamers-gtx-770-poseidon.html

7. Woodspoon

Those pictures do appear to show it as a compromise, from the looks of them it's not a full cover water block, just some piping that seems to go round the bit by the fan, certainly not as extensive as most full cover gpu blocks.

8. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

It'll probably end up costing more than a reference card + block.

9. Stanley Tweedle

"The solution works with a common full-coverage base that makes contact with the card's GPU, memory, and VRM, which is in contact with both a complex ain-array, and a coolant channel"

10. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

The cooler looks like it'd run hot as hell without watercooling. No wonder adding water knocks 31C off the temps!

11. Woodspoon

Yeah, so it's a standard big heatsink and fan with a small waterblock shoved between GPU and fan base.
    A bit of both and the best of neither, compromised.

12. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Personally I think the idea of a fan on a waterblock is retarded.

However I can understand why Asus would do it, should certainly help keep fraudulent RMAs from people too stupid to understand they need to connect the waterblock at a minimum.

13. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

I really like the idea. It's only a matter of time before computers are fully water cooled, so this is the step before the huge leap forward. Running the fan while using a water to cool the card sounds interesting. If its anything like there motherboard it will be amazing for high end builds.

14. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

Great idea IMHO. Easy way to start lc. Look at the accelero hybrid-it has very nice performance!

send from Deathstar via HAL9000

15. Stanley Tweedle

It's also an asus rog and those are designed for extreme performance thus they'd have to be stupid designing a rog that doesn't cool properly... so what's the beef?

Cooling should be adequate on air. If they design a gpu that overheats on air then that would be pretty dumb. Will it provide the lowest temps of any GPU on air? No. Why should it?

Being able to plug in liquid is bloody brilliant. Having just removed a 680 waterblock from my 680 and being forced to run it on air I can say I will never again fit another waterblock to a GPU. It's not worth the inconvenience and potential problems. If I had that new Asus I'd have no hesitation connecting it to water.

Are the asus rog team stupid? Perhaps. I just can't see it myself.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Jun 2013
  16. Woodspoon

No Beef, not saying their stupid either, also not saying that it wont cool properly.
    Just saying that it's performance is unlikely to be as good as if it was a dedicated air cooler or dedicated waterblock. because of the compromise.

As a side note, while the range is limited, you can get graphics cards with factory fitted waterblocks, which would solve any inconvenience and potential problems you mentioned.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's taken 18 months to design the cooler. It won't be *the best* on water, but it's better than any air alternative and compared to finding/spec'ing/installing a block along with VRM cooler/VRM pads it's a million times easier. ;) It'll cool on air perfectly fine an the new fan design does a must better job than most.

18. Stanley Tweedle

Yup, I agree it is a compromise. I think for those who want the best air cooling GPU would have to look elsewhere and likewise those who want max liquid cooling would still buy a 3rd party block. For those people inbetween (me since last week) this is ideal.

I do see your point now about compromised cooling though.

19. Stanley Tweedle

20. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Outstanding.

S*D

Tags: Add Tags