1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple reveals iOS7, 'biggest change' since 1st iPhone

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 10 Jun 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Ghastly.

3. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

really? I'm an Android user and don't care for Apple's products or Apple as a company and I certainly wouldn't choose ghastly as an adjective.

4. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Is it too little too late? Even Nokia WP8 Lumia's have seen massive take up this past quarter and the S4 hasn't lit any touch paper either with $7Billion wiped off Samsung shares last week after news of very slow take up.

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

All they did was redo all their apps with cheap knockoff of the Android Holo skin, plus they added something similar to the android quick settings. In other words, iOS is still behind other platforms.

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Really... That was the best Ive could manage?

7. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

I currently have a 3GS and iPad 4th gen. Love the ipad but the 3GS is too vintage now. Heard so many negatives about the iPhone 5 even when they reviewed it on the gadget show. I think any new iPhone would have to be pretty amazing for me to consider getting one. As things stand now if I did upgrade the phone it will probably be an android. Apparently Sony just might have something that surprises everyone around the corner.

New look for IOS is welcome though if it brings more than a few minor changes. I'm guessing there still won't be animated backdrops because that stuff is way beyond the scope of apple engineers.

8. do_it_anyway

do_it_anyway Minimodder

Can someone confirm for me, that 2nd picture... what hardware is that running on?
    It might be a heavily cropped iphone 5, but the buttons on the side don't look like an iphone, and the bezel looks thinner.
    I don't know the iphone well enough to tell, but this isn't the iphone 6 is it?

9. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

No, I don't think so - I think it's just a mock-up to show what the OS will look like.

Hard to tell whether iOS7 will be any good from these pictures. It looks like it will be a minor evolution though, rather than any revolution.

10. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

iOS 7 is very nice, but it looks a bit like someone put Android and WP8 into a blender and hit the purée button. :p

Some useful improvements, and largely a beautifully slick GUI, with some original touches but nothing kitch or overdone. But it feels like in terms of functionality it is catching up rather than blazing trails.

Actually if you look at the video presentation carefully, it does have animated backdrops. It also has a neat fake 3D parallax effect invoked by using the phone's accelerometers.

The Mac Pro however is the sort of cheesecake that we came to expect from Apple. An obsidian thing of beauty.

Last edited: 10 Jun 2013
  12. AverageNinja

AverageNinja Almost an EpicNinja

*sigh*. No iPod Touch 4 support. That kills it for me :(

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

it looks like R2D2 ****ed a toaster or one of those pedal bins...

it's an impressive technical achievement... but I preferred the old one...

14. dipzy

dipzy Minimodder

Although there are bits that still look like the current IOS, i do like it.
    Not a major redesign but meh.. its something.

Loving the mac pro though, that thing is crazy but awesome

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Would it be petty of me to say that the "skeuomorphic design" was by far my biggest complaint about iOS? Particularly the bumped out and glossy look of the app buttons, made them look they got placed there by some free smiley toolbar you accidently installed. The new flat look is a huge improvement.

16. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

It kind of reminds me of googles apps on ios, which is no bad thing really as google+ is probably one of the best designed apps I've ever used.

Not really heard of the hardware in the mac pro before, but it sure sounds powerful for the size (1/8 the volume of the original).

Also, all day battery life on a macbook air is nothing to be sniffed at.

If the iPhone 6/5s is a big enough improvement, I think it could definitely win a few fans back off android and WP.

17. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

In other similarly related news the android gmail app seems to have had the windows blender treatment as well. Personally I'm not a fan. Although it is a well known fact that they all rob style ideas off each other. Apple had folders, android added folders. Android had pull down notifications apple add pull down notifications. Windows phone has ugly big tiles android adds ugly big tiles. Android has holo apple adds similar.

For me I'll stick to android, I'll not knock apple users or designs or iOS7 that much, but since Mr Job's untimely end I do worry about about the future of apple. There were a couple of things they did well, marketing and continuity/conformity. Both are changing with lighting ports over the dock port, changes to the UI etc.

18. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I'm liking the flat, less glossy, UI. Very much a mix of WP8 and Android styling bringing I more up to date with the current trend.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I agree. It looks much more congruent with the hardware.

20. Lenderz

Lenderz Minimodder

Had an original iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 4S so far, I always liked my Apple products but lately I've been enjoying my Lumia WP8 phone a lot more than my iPhones.

I really like what Apple have done with the look of ios 7 here, looks like getting rid of Scott Forstall and putting the genius of Ive in charge was a good idea.

Tags: Add Tags