1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GAME opening Xbox-only store in London

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 18 Jun 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

Mmm, the spin sounds all good and trendy but it almost sounds like an attempt to grab what xbox1 sales they can without investing too much in an expensive high-street shop just in case sales don't go that well after the recent infamous launches :confused:

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

So it's a Microsoft store minus Windows PCs/phones/tablets?

4. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Pointless to match the console I suppose?

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I said the other day I thought M$ might be paying Game to say that the Xbox One had the most pre-orders, when all the other sites showed that the PS4 was ahead. This convinces me more. Also, I'm going to remember this comment so I can say "I told you so" if this finally gets proved.

6. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Its not a bad idea though on GAMEs part - the problem high street stores have is getting people in and by building a community around themselves they are doing just that. People in the shop buy things, so get them in :)

7. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Do GAME not have enough bottomless pits in which to waste their very little money?

8. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

It says there'll be a Surface display stand in the store. Making it the only thing worth checking out.

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Today, Xbox only GAME store. Tomorrow, only Xbox GAME store.

10. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

There are already allegations that Microsoft paid devs/publishers not to show their PS4 games at E3 or to only show it on XBone if multi-platform...

11. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

Those are pretty serious allegations if true but who is going to investigate it?

Maybe a disgruntled MS employee (there must be one!) will turn whistleblower :worried:

12. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Thats what I was thinking! It should do pretty well in that case

13. John_T

John_T Minimodder

If you take a look at it:

http://www.boxpark.co.uk/about/

It appears each 'shop' is made up of a single FEU, so that's 40 feet long by 8 feet wide - tiny by normal shop standards. Also, If the pop-up is only there for a week, it's rent free. If they stay 3 months it's five grand, so they're hardly breaking the bank with it. It could be seen as cheap advertising as much as anything else, selling stuff will be a bonus.

It really wouldn't surprise me if Microsoft picked up the rental bill and Game just supplied the staff.

14. John_T

John_T Minimodder

In fact, looking at the picture again, it may even be a TEU, so 20 feet by 8 feet.

Small, whatever it is...

15. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Serious allegations? Pretty much standard practice. Every year one or the other or both will be paying third parties to not mention or mention as quietly as possible versions that aren't associated with their hardware.

Just look at the Xbone presentation, Titanfall Exclusive to Xbone... and Pc... and 360... and probably PS4 at a later date but not right now.
    Battlefield 4 first on Xbone! and PC and PS4 and 3/360

Lots of stuff Microsoft talked about very loudly was not exclusive to their new console, that's part of the hype machine and clearly they've got their chequebook out again for this. Given the location it's not a long term enterprise in Game's mind.

16. SighMoan

SighMoan What's a Dremel?

Being a PC gamer I never step foot in GAME but having been in one yesterday I found it an utterly grim shopping experience. Anything they can do to make their stores more engaging seem like a good idea to me.

17. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

Yep, On reflection your probably right, who really cares. :D

Tags: Add Tags