1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 15 Jul 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. blackworx

blackworx Cable Wrangler

Hats off to MSI - they do a good job of satisfying those of us the big two somehow can't (or won't) reach despite having dozens of SKUs. For me MSI are the spiritual successors to Abit's crown in that regard.

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Why comment about MSI on a Gigabyte review?

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

One thing i don't get is why manufactures put Marvel controllers on MoBo's
    I know the article says about using them for E-SATA, but im guessing not many people do.
    The amount of times you read about people getting slow speeds from SSD's only to find out they are using the pony&trap Marvel and didn't know how much they suck.

Also curious about the lovin for MSI on a Gigabyte review :)

Last edited: 15 Jul 2013
  5. SchizoFrog

I have to admit I am something of an ASUS fan but if I was going to spend my money on a Motherboard that wasn't an ASUS then Gigabyte is the first and main option I would look at. The reason for this is consistency and not over just a couple of years either. Gigabyte have been churning out very good boards at good prices generation after generation and they always seem to bring reliability to the table too as well as a good range of features.

6. blackworx

blackworx Cable Wrangler

Oops, wrong tab :blush:

7. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

I for one prefer the drab colour scheme- much easier to build a rig around a plain mobo, vesus having to build a themed rig around some garish brightly coloured thing.

8. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Very last paragraph of the review:
    should be

9. Sub-particle 0.76

Sub-particle 0.76 What's a Dremel?

I have been using ASUS mobo for 3 generations (chipsets, that is) and I will swap to MSI (oops, GIGABYTE blackworx) for the next one - mainly for the WOL and features.

Remind me when it is their UD5/7H mobo's turn to test preferably the TH-equipped model to compare.

10. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Cheers, fixed.

11. SchizoFrog

I am interested to know what features Gigabyte has that ASUS doesn't that makes you want to switch, especially as you mention WOL which ASUS boards have, well, at least the Hero does.

12. konstantine

konstantine What's a Dremel?

Now the question is: why are Haswell chips so hot? At the same 4.4GHz frequency, a 4770K is hotter than my Core I5 750. Is it the Silicon that's getting worse as it gets finer?

Aside from that, I've had the best luck with Gigabyte and Asus boards., and I've always build using the mid-range boards..

13. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Because they (and their Ivy Bridge predecessors) use thermal paste between cores and IHS rather than a type of solder that Sandy Bridge and Nehalem (etc) used.

It's very well documented and discussed. How have you not known this before ? :p::lol:

On topic; I'd still go for the Maximus VI Hero even though it's a bit more expensive. I would like to know how the Gigabyte board uses so little power at idle at stock compared to the others though.

14. konstantine

konstantine What's a Dremel?

I see.. cuz TDP wise, a 4770 consumes less power then a Lynnfield at 4.4GHz.

This Gigabyte board also utilizes quite a bit less of the CPU during heavy network traffic.The review on techreport covers that.

Personally, If I were to to go with a board, I'd go with a mid-range Gigabyte, like the UD3H. The good thing about Gigabye boards is that their mid-range boards are built as well as their high-end boards.

Tags: Add Tags