1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware MSI Z87-G45 Gaming Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 22 Jul 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

minor point of confusion; you refer to this frequently as the Z87-G45, yet the Overclockers link on the first page quotes the board as Z77A-G45 and the chipset as Intel Z77 so which is it?

3. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Shame on you Bit-Tech (or at least Harry) for wanting to pay the best part of £30 more for the Gigabyte motherboard all for the sake of 2 shiny buttons and a glowing LED-POST code reader. I really hope you didn't mark it down because of this.

4. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

What's up with the dragon at south bridge lol. Silly and childish if you know what I mean.

5. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I guess Bit-Tech made a mistake. The Z87-G45 on Overclockers is marked up as £124.99 but is out of stock while it is £117.50 and in stock at Ebuyer. I can't access Scan right now for some reason.

http://www.ebuyer.com/507003-msi-z8...-channel-audio-atx-motherboard-z87-g45-gaming

6. Meanmotion

Sorry about that. Wrong link added. This has now been corrected. The board is available from Dabs for £116.

7. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

The link pricing needs updating too. :)

8. Meanmotion

That's weird. Saved the link but not the text. :grr:

9. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

They're worth it! I've had to fix too many PCs with no clue what the problem is to not recommend at least a POST code reader! As such, it was docked a couple points on features, be buffed on value.

10. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

The traditional Bios beeps have always been more than enough if it's not been immediately obvious and a CMOS reset at worst has done the trick, though it's been over 10 years since I've even had to worry about Bios related issues.

11. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Not being the type to keep builds on a bench (or even having a bench to keep them on, for that matter), I wouldn't be too fussed not having on-board power and reset. God knows I've got plenty of carcasses around I can scavenge for power buttons if I really need one. Same with post-code displays - I've found Asus' indicator LEDs far more useful (especially after the fricking manual for the board has disappeared...and Sapphire apparently didn't feel the need to post it up on their site).

12. dogknees

dogknees Minimodder

Why no straight overhead shot of the whole board? This is a basic need for every MB review so we can get a detailed idea of the layout of the board. Another sign that the reviewers/management just don't get what people on a tech site want.

Every MB, graphics card, sound card, PSU,... should have a clear hi-res photo of at least the top of the board if not both sides. It's real handy if your planning a build/mod when you can see where EVERY connector and component is situated on the MB.

Look at the reviews from a few years back and learn. PLEASE!!!!!

13. Xir

Xir Modder

Hmmm, any chance of the ASUS Gryphon Z87 showing up sometime?
    It's a tad cheaper, and I don't see a lot of difference in performance in the motherboards tested so far.

Tags: Add Tags