1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ubuntu Edge revealed as crowdfunded Formula 1 of phones

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 22 Jul 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

That is definitely quite something! I doubt it'll get fully funded though.

3. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

$830?

Are they on drugs?

Looks nice, but you're competing with a £240 Nexus that's nigh on as good bar the internal memory of course, but no doubt that will be rectified in the new one.

4. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Interesting, I'll be following its progress but can't see it gaining such high funding.

5. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Interesting... I agree on the screen size thing. Will make their GPU a happy chappy for sure @ 720p.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

$600 is high, $830 is ludicrous. Iphone 5 is less expensive.

$32mil funding wow highest ever price that is.

7. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Pan-atlantic 4G coverage - fantastic, at £5/megabyte plus £25/day connection fees, or whatever. The only time mobile internet is potentially really useful is when I'm in LA, and... then I daren't use it. Fanbloodytastic.

And anyway, what is this 4G? I have only ever twice seen the 3G logo appear on my phone, including in central London. 2G barely works. 4G will presumably barely work over an even shorter range.

8. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

The video intro explains this is the premium end of market. Its like whinging about the cost of 4k monitors. Now pre-iphone blackberry fans have something to buy. Love the saphire crystal screen idea. love the convergence of operating systems so 486 will have to prove itself or be taken over. £500 handset becomes a £40/month 2 year contract. I'm in.

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

@rollo: What country are you living in ?

iPhone 5 is £529 (16GB model) to £699 (64GB model) in UK - vs £532 for Edge after today. So yeah, technically the 16GB model is £3 cheaper than the 128GB Edge. Oh and it has 4GB RAM, unlike the iPhone with 1GB.

PS: Even if we take VAT into account, then 64GB model of iPhone is £582,5 without VAT, which is £50 more than the full price of Edge.

But i won't buy one either, i just bought my HTC One 2 months ago... Looking at the progress, i think they will do it in few days, they are already at $1 million.

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

11. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I just don't see the appeal of another mobile OS at this stage. Maybe I'm wrong, but would anyone actually consider switching from iOS, Android or Windows Phone to this?

12. faugusztin

I was looking at apple.co.uk :D.

Well, it is another option, but you don't need to "switch away" from Android, it is Android + Ubuntu desktop + Ubuntu Touch.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2013
  13. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

But does it run android apps?

EDIT: the ubuntu part, i mean.

14. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Would have to have lots of faith in Canonical to slip that much money their way without even touching or seeing the device in action properly. CPU specs havent even been released properly....

"The latest, fastest quad core CPU" This is very unspecific.

Not keen on Mark Shuttleworth either. Don't plan to fund his empire. But it look bloody cool I will say that.

15. faugusztin

They don't want to fall in the OYUA trap. If they would say "Snapdragon 800" now, you would say AWESOME. But in May 2014, you will say MEH. That is why you have "latest, fastest quad core", because there will be few more quadcore processors launched in meantime, don't you think ?

16. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

If this is the Formula one of phones, doesn't that mean the phones are going to have weekly safety issues and egotistic users/ drivers? ;)

17. faugusztin

Already at $2,144,248... I think they will get the money in week or so.

18. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

they should have learned from MS (surface), that in today's world, high priced premium products don't really make an appeal to the market

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

LOL reads like someone ticked all the boxes and also sounds like Ubuntu can't deal with very high PPI displays.

Who is designing it [and if that brick is the final design... my god..]? Does it have engineers with experience? What contracts are in place with LCD/manufacturing/SoC? Who are they contracting to test its functionality in the countries it's meant to work in? $3 million is frankly a drop in the ocean in development costs. Don't get me wrong I'd love to see more OS choice but it takes more than a single kick starter to get a smartphone to market - let alone an industry leading one.

20. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I like this, and it's the first mobile device I've said that about since the very first Android phone (which I had, and took out of service, and stopped using cell phones. Bloody useless things.) I prefer Ubuntu to most things, and if it had support for some of my hardware I'd never look back. I find Android to be a pain at best and a complete pile of trash generally. Same with most touch OSes, but as I already like the interface for Ubuntu, I might get somewhere with it. Might.

But doesn't matter, I'll never have that amount to spend on a phone. Or any amount, for that matter.

Tags: Add Tags