1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Square-Enix cuts losses by 75%

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 7 Aug 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

I have not bought ANY games for over a year (no, i haven't pirated any either). A few indie ones have tempted me but nothing screams - "Bloody masterpiece - must be played"

3. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

All this F2P, browsergames and minigames for mobiles is totally destroying the game-industry.

During the last few years there was only very little games published that I'd call any good, while there's now millions of these "casual" timewaste games.

I don't know who to blame tho, as I can't really say which came first, the crappy games or the people who play them.

4. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

pretty much only played starcraft2 and battlefield 3 in the last few years, and the occasional steam purchases of walking dead and portal.
    I use to buy games monthly back in the console games, but now big publishers are making games to last years rather than weeks.
    Saves me money though if the playability of the game lasts a long time

5. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

I reckon Nokia is to blame since they seem to have started the whole mobile gaming trend with snake on all there handsets !

6. himaro101

himaro101 What's a Dremel?

genuinely, i have never heard anyone blame the decline of the games market on Nokia because of snake.
    that game, so damn good....

anyway, good to hear that SE are pulling things back, I'm not surprised there manga\anime business is one of the pillars holding them up, it's rare to see an anime aired that doesn't have an SE logo in the titles. some people say it's because of SE that anime \ manga is what it is today.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Agreed. Lately I'd say I buy 1 or 2 games every half year, including the humble bundles. When I do buy games, they're usually ones that were released 3 years ago.

8. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Eh?

What games that have recently come out last years? I wouldn't put BF3 on that list.

9. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Sorry to go against the grain in this thread, but Tomb Raider is a must buy from Eidos (I refuse to refer to square as they're the one doing their level best to destroy the company). Picked it up in the steam summer sale for £7.49 and it is just incredible!
    I'm also a very hard to please gamer.

10. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I think the bigger problem is that we demand larger and better games every year. We have no desire to wait nor do are we willing to make compromises as consumers. We decry publisher slowness, we decry their lack of polish. But we at the end are at fault just as much as the publishers for rushing a game.

We wanted yearly annual updates and refreshes. We got them. We wanted cheap free games, we got them.

If we wanted quality, we as consumers should've waited, should've been patient. Polish comes at a price. And that's time. At the rate we're going, a new game a year will burn out the industry. Make it a 2-3 year window. And each release will seem better and bigger.

11. chemo

chemo True Jungle Brother

Im somewhat glad about this, after losing THQ i'd be pretty upset by a decent place like square enix folding up. Just a shame the mobile crap is holding up the company as they may ditch other platforms and itd be a shame!

12. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I don't expect publishers/developers to release one title per year. Not at all. But let's be serious, there's tons of companies outthere and during the last five years all we got was a mere hand full of acceptable or good games, while the majority of released games were utter crap and only rehashes of games that had been done before allready. The MMO-business is even worse.

I want games that keep me occupied for some time, but that requires content and longlastin interesting storyline and that can't be done within a year or two. However, most companies only improve the graphics and release yet another increment every other year. For FPS, RTS, racing or sports that may work to some degree, but not for RPGs.

And again, all we see lately is a ton of F2P and minigames, as the publishers only want some fast bucks ruining the whole gaming-industry themselves to some degree by going that route.

Last edited: 8 Aug 2013
  13. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

Believe it or not, but S.E. is already bankrupt is just a matter of few time. They have NO idea for great games from YEARS now.

Tags: Add Tags