1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Amazon breaks GTA 5 street date

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 16 Sep 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

The only reason this is news is because the the company may be seeking legal action. This has been happening with almost every game release in the past 5 years.

3. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I don't really get what the big deal is. As you say, it's happened with every other game (unless it's on steam :D ).

A few people got it a few days early. What have they lost because of this? Nothing as far as I can tell.

Those French and Spanish sellers might be a bit more of a problem, but still, what are Rockstar losing?

4. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

The way I always saw it was that First Class post takes 1-3 days, so I think any retailer who is posting pre-orders is well within their rights to post the game three workings days before the release date. Who cares if people get it a day or two early. What would be far more disheartening would be people getting their games 2-3 days late because Rockstar is forcing them to post the day before release.

This is non-news, and Rockstar are only making a noise because they are big enough to.

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I'm sure that they're only 'investigating' in order to get their name in the media more (all news is good news) - as if they're unhappy that people are so hyped about the game that they are clambering to get it early / jealous of those who have.

6. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Won't it phone home for a date check?

7. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

non-news

8. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

If they're so concerned about people getting early access to the game, they should have made it so it is only activated on release date. This would be a trivially easy thing to do in a secure fashion - encrypt key data files on the disc and have the installer either phone home or prompt for an unlock key which would be made available at the planned release time. Then the retailers could avoid the midnight opening queuing fiasco, Amazon et al could ship a week early so everyone is sure to have it in time for launch, digital purchases could be pre-loaded to spread the strain on the vendor's servers, and everyone would be happy.

I'm sure Amazon didn't ship before they were permitted to under their contract with Rockstar. The fact that some copies arrived earlier than anticipated is just down to luck and the randomness of the postal system. To be honest, who cares if someone else gets the game a day or two before me?! I haven't even bothered to pre-order. I'll pick up a copy when the price drops in a few months.

Tags: Add Tags