1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Grand Theft Auto V Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 20 Sep 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

£30? Where did you get this price from?!

3. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

..if that's the case then one of the obstacles to me ever purchasing another GTA title has been removed.

Playing through GTA IV became too much of a battle against appalling controls and vehicle handling, causing me to repeatedly fail missions, in the end I just didn't have the time or patience to try and master it, so gave up.

The only time I load up the game now is when I want to go for a wander after installing a new mod or graphics filter.

I suppose a PC version will turn up...eventually.

4. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I had the exact same reservations and in honesty I think it still does feel that way. I couldn't find any settings to adjust the sensitivity on PS3 so no choice but to get used to sliding about. I even failed the first few driving missions a few times because of this. However, it does allow for you to weave in and out of traffic when making a getaway. Just something you gotta get used to.

5. alf-

alf- Minimodder

Odd review, almost felt like you went out of your way to dislike aspects of the game.

"Meanwhile, the non-mission stuff still doesn't feel like it matters all that much. Sure, you can play tennis, or go hunting, or get drunk and play in traffic, and the mechanics, animations, and environments for doing all those things in are amazing, but none of it has any sense of meaningfulness"

SRSLY meaningfulness? you're looking for meaningfulness when you're dicking around in GTA?

6. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Sorry, copy and paste error. Corrected.

7. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

A little on the harsh side perhaps, but hey it's a review piece. I do see what you mean that the world is incredibly derogatory of...well, the world. Is it no longer satire though? I'm not sure about that.

As for the driving - don't understand the issues there at all, I think it handles really well, and much better than IV. Fly helicopters however, now that's a different story.

8. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

In defence, it improves greatly with flight skill!

9. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

Now it's £49.50. Where do you buy your games?

10. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Oh, I thought I was on BT rather than RPS. I don't know/haven't heard of a single girl that will be playing this, so I don’t know how denying 51% of the population a female character to play with is an issue. More like 1% of the playerbase - and nothing in the entire history of the world can cater to 100% of the population.

Its an 18, so anyone playing it should have a reasonably developed sense of right and wrong, and equal societal rights for both genders, and if they haven’t then I doubt one game is going to change their opinion in either direction. If kiddies are playing it, well, then its really up to the parents to police that, and bring them up as decent, balanced people, able to make a informed opinion on these types of issues.

11. Roskoken

Roskoken What's a Dremel?

"Meanwhile, the non-mission stuff still doesn't feel like it matters all that much. Sure, you can play tennis...."

What???

Like when you destroy a rival corporations infrastructure so the shares tank and you can make a killing from the stock market?

Seems to me a lot of the "non-mision" stuff you can do matters quite a lot.

And the dialogue scripts are ****ing immense.

12. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I know a group of 4 girls who all queued up together to buy it at midnight. My Mrs has also expressed an interest.

If the driving is significantly improved I may well pick this up on console, but I'm going to try and hold out for a PC version. I can't imagine it'll be too long.

13. guvnar

guvnar What's a Dremel?

PC version please, Rockstar!

Now... if it's not too much trouble!

14. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Wait wait wait.

Can you actually do that of your own volition, or is it a scripted event side quest affair?

15. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

If it wasn't for the controls this game might actually be fun to play. But with these crappy controls it's not worth a dime.

The whole system is way to indirect and clumsy. What GTA needs is fast and responsive FPS-controls.

16. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Is it really misogynistic or is just a brash loud (violent) game about brash loud (violent / criminal) men doing some brash loud (violent / criminal) things? Do the characters treat the female NPCs any worse than they treat the male?

I see games like this in the same was I see movies like Reservoir Dogs. Yes they're male focused but then so what?

Anyway I'm off now to play a computer game made just for girls...

I'm stuck on the final level of "Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistlestop Cafe III". I've unlocked Sipsey but for the life of me I can't find the cast iron frying pan to smack Frank upside the head!

It's a way better game than Little Women 2 and may even be better than some of the Bridget Jones DLC.

DLDeadbolt likes this.
  17. RickLane

RickLane Staff Lover of bit-tech

I'm sorry to hear that you don't know any women who play GTA, that must be very hard. I feel obliged to introduce you to one. She reviewed it, actually and enjoyed it even more than I did.

18. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

What on earth was wrong with the steering in the previous games? I loved the car handling!

19. RickLane

RickLane Staff Lover of bit-tech

I checked Amazon this morning and it was £49.50. I checked it again after you posted this and it's now £44. I think someone is playing a practical joke on me. Is it you? You rotter.
    :)

20. CrazyJoe

CrazyJoe Modder

It's not in stock at Amazon, the price keeps changing as it's the marketplace sellers you are looking at.

Tags: Add Tags