1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware BitFenix Phenom Mini-ITX Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 26 Nov 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Have you guys tried putting a mesh prodigy front on this ? I'm guessing it wouldn't mate up properly, but if it did then that'd certainly help the cooling.

3. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Did just that during the review! Sadly, no it doesn't quite line up and doesn't look great so we're hoping that BitFenix may release custom panels like they did with the Prodigy with mesh and perhaps even a 5.25in external slot....

4. kent thomsen

kent thomsen What's a Dremel?

Looking real interesting!

And if one were to remove the lower drive cage and install a second intake fan, I think it will be much more competitive in cooling.

5. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Looks great, I could probably live with the mediocre cooling abilities based on how good it would look on my desk.

6. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

The idea of a replacement front panel which could include both a ODD bay and an air vent along with vented/windowed side panels is interesting and one that I am hoping BitFenix take note of and make happen. Something tells me that they won't do it though as the usual argument against that sort of innovation is that it would hurt sales of another product and BitFenix would rather we bought that case instead for those options. But that sends us back to square one with those horrible feet and handles...

This article also gives me a chance to follow on a continuing argument that I have regarding the sound of Mini-ITX systems... as Mini-ITX systems can't use dedicated (discrete) soundcards, can I ask if there are any plans to review the latest USB external soundcard offerings? I mean, if the Realtek sound is so bad as people say, what is everyone running a Mini-ITX system in cases such as the Prodigy and this Phenom using for their sound?

7. SpeedyVV

SpeedyVV What's a Dremel?

Man, I just bought a Dremel tool!

This case just SCREEMS "mod me!"

8. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Hopefully they do make some custom panels for it, the ones they made for the prodigy add a nice customization level to the case.

9. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I'd love to see full watercooled build with this case. I really like the looks of the thing.

10. Xir

Xir Modder

So, would you test these? The boards are bound to be orientated differently, which should influence cooling.

Tags: Add Tags