1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Xbox One Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 5 Dec 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

Good review just a few things though.
    PS4 isnt waiting for Destiny, its being released on PS3/4 and Xbox 360/one in Spring 2014.
    3D Blu Ray was confirmed early on by major nelson as coming in an update (along with numerous other things inc ex hdd support).
    UK will get the One Guide eventually, supposedly next year.

If you have already mentioned this and Im just being blind then please feel free to hunt me down and slap me with a wet Haddock :D

3. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

Built for the US market. GUI for a US market. Online content for the US market.

4. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Yup, few slip ups and there. Should all be corrected now.

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Might not apply to everyone, but the PS4 would definitely be my choice. Better hardware (which should be very exploitable this time as opposed to the tricky PS3), nicer design and more useful features.

6. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Nothing new in these reviews which is to be expected with such widely covered release announcements and press articles before launch. If I was buying today I would be hard pressed to decide and in the end I think any decision would be based on more of a gamble of what might come in future rather than what they offer right now. With that in mind and certainly no need to rush out to buy one immediately, I will be quite happy to sit back and wait to see what comes our way, possibly picking one up for next Christmas.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Not really sure living in the uk id be in a huge rush to purchase this console. Most of its headline features are not even supported in this country at the moment. There is also no guarentee that Microsoft will get the tv rights that they need in the UK / EU for there box to support the features it claims.

Apple has spent years trying to get into the UK / EU tv market and has failed at every turn with alot bigger budget. Expecting Microsoft to do it with less money seems unrealistic.

PS4 has the edge where i sit not that ill be buying either at this time. If in 1 years time Microsoft has its tv stuff fixed for the uk and the price is not so much more than the ps4 then it may be a winner.

For a console marketed as entertainment box its missing alot of the would be entertainment features at least in the UK / EU markets. Things coming in an update is all well and good but if I was paying £440 Id want every feature enabled on launch or I would not be a buyer.

As it is from a uk point of view your paying for half of whats promised. Which to me would seem to be a little bit nuts. Also looks like the buyers see it that way with the PS4 having a 2-1 sales lead over the Xbox. 2.1mil to 1mil sold. And thats before it hits japan where id expect it to extend that lead.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

You guys don't make it easy to choose between the Xbox One and the PS4, what with both scoring 80% :p
    If i had to choose a gaming console i think i would go with a PS4, if i wanted a media center i would go with the Xbox One.

9. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

It's a simple enough purchase for me as I'm only really interested in Halo, which of course will never see the light of day on another platform (well, not at launch anyway). The rest of the games either aren't to my tastes or are being released on PC. Couldn't care less about Destiny really, doesn't really shine to me (plus I'm not a fan of Bungie anymore after Reach) plus their reason for not bringing it to PC is beyond stupid. They may as well fess up to being driven only by sales (they're a business after all) rather than leading us up the garden path with "we wouldn't be able to support another platform" rubbish.

Looks like quite the media device too though, I do like the ability to forward through the HDMI input on the back. Already using a splitter ATM to manage the VM box, NUC and bluray player (hmm sounds exactly the same as in the article rofl), so being able to cut that down to size would be great.

10. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

owning both consoles, I have to admit, though at first, you will really notice the difference between 720p and 1080p when you are about 2-3 feet from the tv (well on a 42"), but it seems when I was sitting farther away it barely made a difference (just saying for people who will be judging buying a console based on that), now the real deal would eventually be in a few years when developers start pushing the console to the limits, would there be differences between the consoles further, or if developers start using that 32mb ESRAM on the xbox one and push out some extra performance to close the gap.

Personally I don't have yet a preferred console at the moment, well if you just want a bit more graphics fidelity, then yes the ps4 would be my choice, game loading times seem to be faster on the Ps4 as well, so that is a plus , I plan upgrading the hdd soon to an ssd and see if it really improves it (on both consoles), on the MS side, I like the UI better, and seriously the voice commands + kinect integration is really really slick and lastly the controller, the MS controller is a godsend, but still I still prefer both consoles (if that hdmi input was totally lag free, I would seriously hook up the ps4 to that just for giggles).

11. exceededgoku

exceededgoku What's a Dremel?

I've got a 59" tv and games look very good on it, I've got a much more powerful pc at home for when I want graphical prowess. I don't see why Microsoft didn't spec the console higher but ah well, it's like the Wii U. It's not a powerhouse yet equally as entertaining.

In terms of TV and Fitness applications the Xbox is second to none. Put it this way, my PS4 is still in it's box waiting to be unpacked...

Whilst I've bought a second Xbox for my parents to enjoy for Christmas, notably the apps and online digital content and I'll slip it in that they could do with using the fitness app :D.

12. Jezzafool

Jezzafool What's a Dremel?

Good review. I really wanted the Xbox One but I am going to have to buy the PS4 though if I want to play anyone I know due to them all buying them this time.

13. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I'll be getting a PS4 for Destiny no doubt but I'm not bothering with a console at launch this time around. The launch games don't really offer anything that you can't play on PC with better looking graphics, res etc.

14. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Talk about following the crowd... Can't you make new friends? lol

15. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

This is the only one for me. Game quality aside which I don't really think is as big an issue as some are harping on about and could end up as just a software solution anyway. It has far too many things beaten hands down than the PS4 to ever consider that an option.

The proof was always going to be in the pudding and both reviews I think nailed it.

If you are a true hardcore gamer, upgrade your PC. If not, buy a XBoxOne for everything else.

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Surely there is often overlap between Xbox exclusives like the much vaunted Titanfall and PC and so a PS4 is the option for alternate gaming due to different franchises. It was certainly this way for me, the only reason a 360 is in my house is due to Forza, everything else the PC/PS3 and Wii had covered.

Odd comment about true 'hardcore' gamers, what is that, gamers have been gaming since before the PC was even a capable gaming device, this was done as it can be now with consoles and all sorts of other devices, Hardcore graphics whores on PC now that is another matter :D

Blimey my missus is a pretty hardcore gamer, she has put an insane amount of hours into Candy Crush. :)

17. Panomama

Panomama I once signed up on uniform dating

Don't even understand this(titanfall), in my opinion it looks like a pile of ....
    I bought a 360 for the last generation in 2009, loved it dearly, had a narnia of good times on it. Leaning more towards the PS4 now though think i'll be buying one of those in the new year.

18. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Here's hoping that Mantle or something similar, and maybe Steam Boxes/OS or something else takes advantage of the almost off the shelf x86 nature of this gen and allows PC hardware to be more competitive for similar specs and easier to cross develop for.

Then, much sooner than previous gens, you might be able to buy a budget PC that runs games as well as consoles and does everything else a PC can. Then higher end PC's will in turn start to streak away much earlier than in the last console gen.

This gen could look dated quicker that people would expect.

Digital distribution is well established and accepted on PCs. Add that to the fact you now have lengthy installs on console games that come on disks as you always have on a PC, maybe we'll see gaming/MCPCs start to eat up a surprising amount the console market in the next few years.

19. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

A true hard core gamer plays on many Platforms, be that Xbox, PlayStation or PC, or for that matter Wii. I would have bought the PS4 as well as the Xbox one, but can't afford both, if you set the Xbox one up properly it can turn your connected TV on and off when your turn the Xbox on or off. (I told the Xbox which TV I have, and it can adjust TV volume and mute the TV as well as turn it off using voice commands)

Edit: forgot to mention windows media player 'play to' works just fine as well

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Indeed, my xone purchase will do doubt coincide with the release of Forza game of the year edition which will probably get released in the future with all dlc.

Tags: Add Tags