1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Five Gaming Trends of 2014

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 2 Jan 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

You left out the return of true stealth. You've got a lot of great games up there, but Thief 4 is going to blow them all away.

3. Griffter

Griffter What's a Dremel?

speaking under correction (as we all do via rumours and talks about unreleased games :)) from the articles and online talks since e3, thief 4 seems to be making some nervous and started to look generic-ish from the demo these "some" people have played.

but hey, im still excited..

4. Neilc

Neilc Minimodder

You were inaccurate with star citizen and funding, it is 100% crowd funded without any outside investment. Otherwise nice article

5. LordLuciendar

LordLuciendar meh.

How could this article have not mentioned Elder Scrolls Online? If you want to look to a game changing MMORPG, look there.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Oh, I do hope you're right.

Although, I'm hoping that oculus rift lands on it's arse. The last thing we need is another expensive gimmick almost guaranteeing five years of zero progress in gaming. The Oculus Rift is cinema's 3D - a headache inducing veneer covering up an ever-increasing dearth of quality.

HL2 is great - I still love it - but the best gaming experience of this year was a 10 year old game played through a VR headset? Are you shitting me?! :wallbash:

7. law99

law99 Custom User Title

I think oculus rift will be good... But yeah... Might stunt certain elements if it is staying at one res for 5+ years... But hey, so is console.

The decision to hand half life 2 no1 in their games of 2013 was pretty annoying. But then, nothing has grasped my attention other than some indie games I forgot to purchase.

The Last of Us I would have picked up if I had a ps3.

8. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

Quote for truth my good man. QFT!

9. Scootiep

Scootiep Minimodder

I don't hold too much faith in demos and their reviews. Too many times games have been ridiculously over-hyped because their demos looked "world changing" according to reviewers and then come release we find out that the demo was literally all the game had to offer. That as well as the flip side where a developer has to keep a ton of content under wraps until release and a game gets lambasted because it's "generic", again, according to reviewers. And the latter is especially true when refering to plot driven games. Until I see a review of the full game (or I write my own) I'm witholding my judgement and simply expressing my hopes and dreams so that everyone has record of when they are ceremoniously shredded before my eyes, stuffed neatly into a rocket and shot into the sun to crush my spirit yet again.

In case you can't tell, I've been waiting far to long and placed far to much of the worth of my life upon this game.

10. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

There are only 3 game changing MMORPGS:

1: Ultima Online, the one that defined what a MMORPG is.
    2: WoW, first ever mmo that allowed noobs to feel like they accomplished something.
    3: EVE, The only ever commercially successful MMORPG that didn't resolve around slaying monsters with swords.

11. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

So that's it? Nobody else should bother trying because it's all been done?

12. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Still waiting for HL3.

13. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

how about Elder Scrolls Online?

14. captain caveman

captain caveman life is pain

i want bFbc3

15. captain caveman

captain caveman life is pain

bfbc2 is still the best FPS/multiplayer by a country mile

16. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Remember that something doesn't have to be game changing to be fun and worth playing. Many developers instead opt to refine things rather than bring in new dimensions (which let's face it are very few and far between).

As for the other comments, I'm a little puzzled by the Oculus dismissal. I don't really see how it could hold back games at all, after all it's just a screen. The only thing it could really affect negatively is the uptake of higher resolution monitors. Sure that's a bit of a shame, but I'd be rather disappointed also if people only equated screen resolution with game innovation. The shear level of immersion provided by the Oculus Rift is in itself a game changer. I can't wait to try out the higher resolution one next year.

17. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Elder Scrolls Online. Game changing? No, I don't think so. It's going to buckle under the strain of the theme park MMO and end up a half and half mess. Mark my words!

YEHBABY and siliconfanatic like this.
  18. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Literally impossible. Palmer himself has said that they are intimately tied to the mobile-display dev cycle, which is on a brutal 9-12 month refresh. Once a cycle of displays is no longer produced for new phones, it essentially disappears (due to very tight supply management, manufacturers do not produce a surplus if they can possibly help it). Oculus HAVE to iterate in time with mobile display manufacturers if they actually want to buy enough panels to make up a production run.
    Remember the delay in producing the kickstarted Rift devkit? And the shift from 5.6" to 7"? That's because there were not enough of those 5.6" panels in existence to fulfil the order.

19. law99

law99 Custom User Title

So you think a popular product committing to a life cycle won't change this? A dev kit is a dev kit mate... If Oculus sells well, they have an even better chance to stagnate. You don't think they only plan on selling a couple of thousand do you?

20. Dedlite

Dedlite What's a Dremel?

No Fallout 4? Has it not been officially announced then?

Tags: Add Tags