1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia announces Tegra K1 Kepler-based SoC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Jan 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Impressive tech, but utterly useless unless they can score enough design wins this time around. Qualcomm's been eating everyone's lunch because their SoCs integrate a complete LTE baseband on-chip. Any word on whether Nvidia will be integrating their Icera software baseband IP onto Tegra K1?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

There's no mention of it, so I'm guessing the initial models won't include it - although, as with the previous Tegra release, there'll be an integrated version released in the near future, I'd bet. You're spot-on with Qualcomm, though: I interviewed 'em years ago, and heavy integration was their watchword - and it's sure as heck paying off now.

4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Depends if it's really meant for mobile, I could see this in an Android console ala Ouya.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Nvidia said post launch of this chip that there next chip would have LTE baseband on-chip so assumption says it does but thats not confirmed anywhere ive seen yet.

Anandtech usauly do a full breakdown on these sort of things and theres no mension there yet if its baseband on-chip or not.

Design wins depends on whos looking for a chip like this, Without baseband on-chip it wont be seen in mobile. In tablet it will just come down to cost of the chip vs competing platforms. If you take out nvidia shield which did not set the world alight theres very few tegra 4 products. Vizio and HP been the 2 main.tegra 4.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Ouya costs $99 tegra 4 in breakdown cost between $30-$35 so 1/3rd of Ouya total cost is going to go into a chip I have my douts on that one tbh.

7. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Because no-one else is allowed to make an Android console like Ouya, but if they did they'd have to stick to the same price point?

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Ouya has hardly been a runaway success, People will look at its numbers and see if they could make a profit doing it. Not sure a console priced at $50 more to play andriod games would do alot better than Ouya has.

9. DbD

DbD Minimodder

I read somewhere LTE is on a separate nvidia chip.

10. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Neither were tablets originally.

Edit

Though this is relevant to tablet gaming too

From Anandtech

I assume it couldn't run SteamOS without a fair amount of effort involved?

Last edited: 6 Jan 2014
  11. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

No one can deny how tough a market this product is playing in, I think it's success will be how well aligned the design features are with the innovations of fourth coming products.

Potentially, this will be the start of something different - not so certain smartphones are it's target market, more likely phablets and upwards - even some desktop AIO machines.

I read above someone saying about it being a bit much for playing Android games, yes it's over powered, but Android games need products like this to allow them to evolves.

When I look beyond current gaming on mobile devices I can see this also has the grunt which enables the possibility of ports are possible of our favourite games, not to mention how the lines between this technology and console will come become more blurred over the life cycle of the XBONE and PS4 (which I can only assume will be a lot shorter than the previous generation).

Looking beyond graphical grunt, some decent CPU power there, 64bit chips allow for further innovation into business products as well as the automotive sector which appears to be a growth area.

I am no expert on parallel computing but an extra 192 cores of parallel computational grunt must be useful for something.

I recall seeing an article a few months back about Nvidia offering Tegra GPU licenses, that in itself could be an interesting strategic move.