1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News SteamOS updated to support AMD and Intel graphics

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 10 Jan 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

if this means that steamOS is going to be able to support apu/gpu crossfires properly then that means that i will never need windows for any build i make. general use, media, gaming.... i can get rid of it for all of it.... farewell windows i barely saw you through the days i had to spend researching every f'ing screwed up update you tried to make me download.... but i'll miss you.... for a few secs.

3. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

That didn't happen.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

Be a while before steam os is a fully viable operating system. Not everyone just needs a pc that will play steam games.

You have league of legends, people who play blizzards games and people who use origins games those reasons alone will stop the great exodus of windows as there's 80 million people playing just 5 of the titles supported on those stores or company's.

Starcraft 2 and wow have aprox 28 million players, bf3/4 has another 15million. League has the rest.

Highest played game on steam is Dota 2 which has aprox 4-5 mil dif users per month according to the figures published.

There's also the need for most to need basic access to word.

5. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

not sure if serious or sarcasm :D , if you spent your time researching updates on windows, goodluck with that on a linux based OS. I don't think a PC is something that will only focus on games. its a multitasking power house, that is what makes it great. anyway, if you are indeed serious, good for you then :)

6. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

So let me get this right. I download and install Steam OS and then the update comes from within? IE - is there an update button within Steam OS?

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

If you already have steam os installed then the updates come in automatically. If you download the latest version of steam os the updates will already be included.

In Linux there is typically a tool which will notify you of updates and let's you install them.

8. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

i never once had a linux update that messed up my system, but i cant count the number of times i've had to mess with drivers or system restore because i installed the critically updates automatically once upon a time. now anything that can possibly cause an error of reasonable proportions i have to look up through google just to make sure there isnt a group of people raging about bluescreens or audio bugs or some other side effect that got overlooked... meanwhile on linux i let the update run and went on my merry way.... and i didnt even have to pay a hundred bucks for it.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The big difference is if you found an update had caused problems with Linux you could fix it your self, with a botched update for Windows you have very little chance of fixing it, what with all the fail safes built into Windows. I mean its not like you could just edit, replace or remove the offending file or program to get your system working.

10. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Thanks. Might try this soon then :)

11. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

What I am still trying to get my head around is what benefits does Steam OS give over playing it through windows. Machine specs are similar to a decent desk top PC. It all seems a bit pointless to me.

12. ferret141

ferret141 Minimodder

I haven't had a chance to look at SteamOS but I believe the premise is that it is trimmed down and comes with the basics that you will need to play. An install and play OS with no 'crap' that will hinder performance. Plus the GUI is optimised for living room usage.

13. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

openGL is actually more promising than directX in the long run on performance.... plus it doesnt carry the price tag. Then there's the consumer savings in that steamOS=0$s. windows 7/8= like 100$s.... given neither the competitions between openGL vs directX and windows vs steam have any landslide victories, the financial side has enough pull to make steamOS a clear winner.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Thats assuming people are buying a steam box vs a windows desktop pc.

What about the rest that already own there pcs. ( Basically a bigger market than any console has ever sold. )

$500 steam box looks shocking performance wise. Since we all know that will be £400 - £450 in the uk you could build a much better system for that cash.

Bump that up to the top end one and your paying alot for the box it sits in vs just buying a normal desktop pc.

Pre builds on scan and overclockers are alot cheaper for very similar performance. Scans cheapest steam machine is £700 for the record. ( http://3xs.scan.co.uk/custom/professional-gaming/steam-machines 765m gpu) Intel gaming pc with similar gpu (650ti boost) and more powerful cpu + more configurable is £648.

so your financial side just lost in 2 pre builds by the same company. Both include a OS niether includes a monitor. Not really sure id want a steam machine based on Laptop technology either.

If you go to the first real one none laptop hardware your at £990. for £931 you can get the same pc with a 770 installed instead of a 760. so £60 saving for a better gpu and a more overclocked cpu ( the cpus are the same)

If you copied the hardware configure exactly you would save yourself over £100 going with the windows version. That includes the SSD + 1 tb hard drive config. With the exact same overclock and the exact same memory + gpu.

Not winning any financial battles here.

Tags: Add Tags