1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Mod Of The Year 2013 - The Winners

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 24 Jan 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Congrats to all the winners!

3. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

Congratulations to the winners. Before the war of opinions kicks off I just want to say that I am not surprised that the 'Dream Machines' rule the roost. If those vote numbers are genuine (11 votes for the winner) then it just goes to show how few people bother with these articles/features now, which is a total shame and totally against the idea of the modding comps in the first place, as aren't they supposed to increase interest?

But I will repeat, congratulations to the winners and to all those who had mods entered. The skills and professionalism on show is amazing and my opinions on the nature of the modding comps and community do not diminish the respect and awe that I feel for these projects and their creators.

4. Ronnie Hara

Ronnie Hara Minimodder

Many thanks to all who follow my work and help me. It is an honor and a big surprise for me. I have no words to express my happiness! I never imagined getting this far, really appreciate everyone who made this, it was not even a dream, because I really never thought one day I can win a competition of this size. Thank you all!

5. Meanmotion

Knew I should've labelled those. Those numbers are the votes from the 'judges' - the staff, essentially. The total reader votes were many more, thus them being presented as a percentage.

6. SchizoFrog

Ah, OK. Fair enough. I retract my comment about the numbers but the rest of it stands.

7. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Congrats to the winners :)

Somehow the percentages or how they are calculated seem to be wrong, howcome Kier and Ronnie's builds both get 9% of reader votes while in the poll Kier has clearly way more votes?

8. Meanmotion

Because we gave equal weighting to the forum poll as the Facebook poll. Then it was judge's decision for the final five. Apologies that this wasn't clear.

9. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Ah there was another poll didn't know that.

Anyway congrats to all the winners and nominees, all very impressive builds! :)

10. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Congrats to the winners! Hopefully people won't be too mortified about their personal favourites a la every year.

I think this is one of the only times there hasn't been one project in particular that I found easy to vote for. There are just so many that really appeal to me, had to go for a few instead.

11. kier

kier -----------------

Thank you FB voters and especially Bit-tech readers for the great support ;)

12. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Congrats to the winners

13. itrush07

itrush07 Minimodder

No doubt about it... Congratulations everyone.. Hope to see some new mods this 2014.

14. SchizoFrog

I'd like to see some builds of this quality with certain budgets associated to them for components and custom made parts. That would be really interesting to see what can be done with say £1000 with regards to the modding side of things and also the hardware within.

15. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

Congratulations to the winners!

16. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I dunno, where does it end with that approach? Somebody who has access to an £50000 CNC may only spend £150 on their materials but output a design that would cost thousands for others to make. Would only material and component costs be covered, rather than tools? If that were the case, I don't see how it would make a difference to the overall standings. What about sponsorship? Should it then be cut down further so that those with sponsors only compete against other sponsored builds? The thing is, where do you draw the line even there? Some builds have motherboards, GPUs, all the WC gear sponsored, whilst others get a few fans.

When you start dividing all the categories, you end up with a million sub-competitions, which either just becomes confusing, or reduces the significance of the achievement.

Take my entry for instance. All in all it cost me under £300 from start to finish, that's a decently low figure. But I used a 3D printer owned by somebody else and was given the hardware by Bit-Tech and Intel. That would make it very difficult to class fairly as it crosses many boundaries. Sure it could go in a budget build section, but what about the person who invested a huge sum into a professional workshop and then only paid low materials costs? Their build is still only £300 but they invested far more into it than even the folks with the "dream build" status.

Sometimes it's just nice to keep things simple. That's what I love about the Bit-Tech MotY competition. It's a load of awesome builds, all with difference construction methods, styles and scales, thrown into one. Looking back at the winners throughout the years, I'd say things are pretty balanced.

17. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I think the rules should limit contestants to a single sheet of MDF, a single sheet of clear acrylic, and £50, plus the hardware of their choosing. No powered or computer controlled tools allowed. That would be a bizarre spectacle...

Anyway, hearty congrats to everyone who took part - top work by you all as ever.

18. SchizoFrog

Points taken Maki role and thanks for the honest and polite response. I guess I am just looking for something to inspire and educate me that isn't available, or at least not where I seem to be looking and it all leaves me feeling rather disheartened.

19. adamski07

adamski07 What's a Dremel?

Congrats to all the winners! :) just a bit disappointed that only one on my top 5 list made it to the last top 5. Anyway, goodjob to all who got nominated, you should be proud to be in the list. I hope to see you all again in 2014 MOTY. Thank you bit-tech for the oppurtunity. :)

adamski07

20. faxiij

faxiij Minimodder

Awesome. Swap first and second and I totally agree. Really a lot of great mods. Just can't be compared to a decade ago. Makes me happy to see so many mods I'd immediately put in my room if they'd be mine. Now I just to make one of my own some day.. :)

Tags: Add Tags