1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel updates NUC for better Linux support

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 13 Feb 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Well this would have been pretty awesome a few months ago. Originally tried Linux on it back then but found that the sound over HDMI (important as that's the only output...) was borked. Ended up sticking a copy of windows 8 on it to get things over and done with, CBA to replace everything now that it's all installed.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

You'd think Intel would've fixed something like this before releasing the product, considering its better suited for linux anyway.

I would be a lot more inclined to like these NUC boards if their price point and board layouts were better. In most cases, I'd rather go with a cortex-A15 board - they're typically cheaper, are more power efficient, slimmer, can run with passive cooling, better GPUs, and while they have less features overall, are easier to work with. I'm sure an A15 CPU is a little worse than what Intel NUC boards offer, but buying one of these platforms for processing power is a stupid approach anyway.

4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Problem with ARM is GPU support under Linux. Safest way is to go with a Freescale SoC as they fully release their documentation (helping to have good drivers).

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I'd say the REAL problem is the fact that most of the GPUs are only GLES compatible. Freescale and Nvidia are the only companies I'm aware of that support good 'ol openGL, and the Vivante GL support is pretty crappy. I think the real worst issue with ARM is you can't use package maintained kernels, which is a headache in terms of drivers.

6. Jimbob

Jimbob Minimodder

I'm sure literally several people will be pleased by this.