1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel Broadwell NUC roadmap leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 21 Feb 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Interesting, but I need it it ... NOW! :D

3. Deders

Deders Modder

Don't suppose you have a higher res picture? Can't read the blurb on that one.

4. Deders

Deders Modder

Edit: actually I just followed the link

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Unless Intel doesn't intend to make a Pentium/Celeron/Atom for Broadwell, it seems like once again they completely lost touch in the purpose of these boards. I'm not going to bother spending an hour ranting about what's wrong, but I'll put it this way - boards like this are meant to be as compact and efficient as possible. This means a small cooling system, a physically small form of storage, and if practical, passive cooling. With what they're advertising, you're better off getting mini ITX.

Intel has no clue what to do in the low-power market. They're so afraid of creating another infamous Atom that they're not even in the same market. The stupid thing is I actually liked Atom, it's just Windows was too bloated to work effectively on it.

6. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

Have you had your eyes closed the last year? Intel came out with Bay Trail, its actually very good (I have a Bay Trail tablet, Asus T100. As well as an i5 3317u ultrabook and an i5 3570 desktop. Also an iPad 2). Intel HAS a Celeron based NUC now, based on Bay Trail-D. Its seems pretty decent. You want super low power, get that. Its darned cheap, the cheapest of all of them and would work GREAT as a HTPC, so long as you don't want to do anything other than movies, music, internet browsing or light weight productivity/gaming. My T100 runs plenty of older games at 720p and 768p just fine. Its NOT as fast as my i5 3317u by anymeans, but it is very respectable and a very good user experience.

Also, I hadn't heard that Intel won't make any Broadwell based Celeron/Pentium. Last I heard, Pentium at least and possible Celeron based Haswell was coming soon as an addition/supplement to Celeron and Pentium based Bay Trail-D/N.

Cherry Trail this fall is promising 16EU up from 4EU in Bay Trail and a rough 10% increase in CPU clocks, along with possibly some Arch tweaks for improved IPC. It should make and AWESOME HTPC in something like a NUC. Tiny, quite, super low power and I'd bet my left nut it'll support 4k output like Ivy/Haswell graphics do now. Currently Bay Trail will support up to 1440p for the dual channel supporting chips (at least the tablet chips, not sure if all netbook/desktop Celeron/Pentium Bay Trail do 1440p or not), I see no reason Intel wouldn't move for Cherry Trail to support 4k (at least for desktop/metro/movie playback. I am sure most gaming you are going to want to stick with 720p up to maybe 900p for a few titles).

Sounds like the perfect HTPC for me. A little Win 8.1 running on it, a touch pad remote and an Xbox 360 controller and DONE! uh...well, I'd need a 4k TV first I guess.

7. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Yes, there was alot of hate towards Atom, especially the 330s. I'm running XBMC-Ubuntu on my old Zotac IONITX-AE and the Atom 330 has no troubles whatsoever running the system without hickups.

Anyways, the i3 or i5 or it's cooling isn't really the problem of the NUC, as you can allready buy fanless enclosures for these NUCs. However, the problem of the NUC was it's pricetag, which is going to change next month...

The DN2820FYKH, which sports a Celeron N2820 @ 2.4GHz (7.5W TDP) will become available next month for ~€130. It has preinstalled WiFi bgn and BT 4.0 and has a SATA3-port, so all you need is a 2.5" SSD/HDD and a single DDR3 SO-DIMM.
    With this new kit you can finally build a small and silent box for under €250, depending on the SSD/HDD and SO-DIMM you're chosing.
    Oh, and they finally changed their powerbrick with this one to a 12V-Version :)

8. schmidtbag

Yes, I'm aware of Bay Trail and the currently available NUCs. I don't have a problem with them - they do what they were supposed to do, which is exactly as you described. Unless the i3 and i5 models they put in this new NUC are highly efficient, my gripe is they're putting too much power into a device that SHOULD be able to be passively cooled. But, knowing how Intel's naming schemes are so hard to follow, it wouldn't surprise me if the i5-based NUC they make will be as powerful as a desktop Pentium.

See that's exactly the problem - I don't want a 10% increase in clocks, I want a 10% decrease in power consumption and heat. The increased speed is obviously needed for the higher screen resolutions, but IMO, each succeeding NUC should use less power than their predecessors. Also if I got something like this, gaming is the last thing I'd intend to do with it. I'd use it as a server before using it as a gaming platform.

The NUC platforms do make a good HTPC, but I find many of the cortex A15 platforms to be better overall. Considering most movies and videos aren't greater than 1080p, there isn't really much of a reason to need something that supports anything larger. Resolutions higher than 1080p are really only ideal for gaming and some forms of production. Obviously this opinion changes when movies more commonly start supporting higher resolutions.

9. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

You obviously didn't take notice of the thing I posted there about the 7.5W Celeron 2820 NUC-Kit they gonna release in March.

10. schmidtbag

While I didn't notice that, it's also not really related to what I'm talking about. That product you showed me is what I'm expecting for NUCs, not this i3/i5 model.

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

So what are you talking about here? It's exactly what you wanted and it will be available in March. Most eTailers allready list it with a shippingdate for the 4th of March.