1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Tranquil PC Abel H2-5 NUC PC Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 24 Feb 2014.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

£100 for a case for a lowpower laptop CPU, is a bit much. I wounder who they think there target market is. Only thing that makes sens with a case that thick is automotive. You could defiantly make the case a lot thinner and therefore cost less.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Would the case still be able to perform as a good passive heatsink if you made it thinner though ?

4. jamesn

jamesn What's a Dremel?

seems far too pricey for me...

5. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Depends a lot on the surface area. IMHO much thinner and the thermals would be unnaceptable. I'm testing a larger case for it from Akasa at the moment and it's much cooler.

6. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

£500-700? Nope, do not want- I'd rather build a far more capable system for a similar or lower price & still have a form factor that although larger, is still small enough to tuck away & not be an eyesore ( or go the other way and build something I'd want to display next to my hypothetical AV system ). Just way too expensive for what it is & what it can do...

7. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

Thermals is not about size alone, but radiant surface area... but more of an appliance than an enthusiast PC...

8. John_T

John_T Minimodder

Would make a fantastic office PC for a firm that didn't have to watch the budget too harshly. Small, pretty, quiet, minimal power draw, minimal waste heat output meaning lower air-con bills for half the year. A floor with 200 of these instead of 200 normal whirring, whining boxes would be bliss!

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Thank you for the tip about the SSDs getting hot. -Will be adding a bit of metal to mine now...

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

NUC, meh.

11. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

For 430 pounds I have a complete PC system!

Intel i5 4430
    AsRock MB85M pro4
    Kingston 120GB SSD
    WD Red 1TB
    Gskill reaper 8GB memory
    Corsair CX430M PSU
    Windows 8.1
    Coolermaster N300 Tower

Add throw in 100 to close the gap between the prices and you have a EVGA GTX 750 extra for 530 pounds that can play everyhting on FHD.

IMHO It is way to expensive.

12. John_T

John_T Minimodder

That's not a reasonable comparison though, as they are two totally separate and different things.

The case you've picked is 190 x 426 x 491.5 mm, which I make to be approximately 1.4 cubic feet. This case is 164 x 110 x 47 mm, which is approximately 0.03 cubic feet. This is more than 46 times smaller!

Your system will burn approximately 100+ watts in idle and over 170 at full tilt. This uses 6 watts idle and 26 at full tilt. That's an enormous consideration if this is going to on for long periods and/or there are going to be many of them.

Your system will make some fairly hefty noise unless you spend more money for after-market cooling, and even then it will still make 'some' noise. This system is completely silent.

You're obviously free to not like it, and it isn't cheap, but running up a comparison list like that is meaningless. It'd be like saying a shire horse is better than a donkey because it's more powerful. A shire horse may be more powerful, but it's also going to cost a lot more to feed - and you're not going to give kids a shire horse ride on the beach are you! They're just completely different animals designed for different things...

13. WarMadMax

WarMadMax What's a Dremel?

possible use as a streaming client for Steam home streaming,
    gaming rig upstairs does the heavy lifting and this box just decodes and outputs to the tv?

still it's damn pricey though!

Tags: Add Tags