1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Web hit by OpenSSL 'Heartbleed' vulnerability

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 8 Apr 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

This is the reason the minecraft login servers are down :/

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Any company that doesn't take its vulnerable servers down until they're patched (yes, like you, Yahoo, you naughty little company you) is doing its customers a distinct disservice; I can't stress enough how serious this vulnerability is. We're talking the keys to the kingdom, here; total and unfettered (read-only, I'll grant you) access to the contents of RAM. The sysadmin in me is puckering up just thinking about it.

4. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

Absolutely agree, they've just announced on Twitter that the servers are coming back up now

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

5. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Would NSA/GCHQ tell anyone if they knew?

6. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Oh, wow.

7. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Definitely not. It's impossible to know whether they knew about this bug beforehand, but at least we're lucky now that a security researcher discovered this one.

8. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

As im aware OpenBSD was not actually affected due to the way they have implemented memory allocation in BSD. Instead of leaking the memory it initiates a dump file or crash I think. In my very first job at NHS as a student sys admin my manager swore by BSD. Maybe he was right!

Very interesting link below mail thread with openBSD founder replying.

Mail Thread

9. Gareth Halfacree

Sadly, if you re-read the link, you'll see that OpenBSD (and all other BSDs shipping affected OpenSSL variants) was affected. Basically, there is exploit mitigation in malloc which means that OpenSSL should crash instead of revealing its secrets; unfortunately, there's exploit mitigation mitigation in OpenSSL that means malloc doesn't get a look-in. (Basically, for performance reasons on one unnamed platform, a coder added internal caching to OpenSSL which bypasses malloc - meaning that the crash-instead-of-leaking feature never gets used, and the data is leaked instead.)

10. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

ah I misinterpreted it!

Cheers.

11. RTT

RTT #parp

What's crap is that it's widely understood and considered that OpenSSL is a bit of a mess - and the team who run it aren't exactly open to accepting any help. A choice quotes from a thread on r/programming:

... which is a shame, because while you probably wouldn't want any old joe submitting patches to such sensitive software, you absolutely could have less-qualified/trusted/whatever engineers start to unit test & fuzz-test the heck out of it