1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD launches AM1 Kabini desktop range

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 9 Apr 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. SAimNE

SAimNE What's a Dremel?

seems like a good way to make a quick cheap mediapc o.o

3. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

I had a stab at XBMC on Raspberry Pi, but it was a bit sluggish for my liking, and my old Mini-ITX Intel build was too noisy to work in the long run... this could be what convinces me to have another go - it looks ideal.

4. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Gigabyte GA-AM1M-S2H mATX is £24.82 (pre-order) and Asus AM1I-A mITX £26.64 at Scan. Great prices. I just hope the APUs themselves are cheap enough.

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I'm already using an A4-5000 Jaguar SoC in my HTPC. I'm pretty sure it's BGA rather than socketed under the tiny passive heatsink, but I was on the bandwagon a while ago. Great little thing, a "Radeon HD 8330" and what is essentially much the same as a PS4/Xbone processor with a few less cores :p

It's made a nice fanless rig.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

We can certainly do some guesswork. The AMD A10-6800K APU's official list price per unit in trays of 1,000 is $142; Newegg will currently sell you a retail version for $130. Yes, that's bizarre; nevertheless, that gives us a list-to-retail ratio of 0.92. Converting Newegg's price to Pounds Sterling makes £93.22 including VAT; Ebuyer sells the same chip in retail packaging for £103.58, for a rip-off Britain ratio of 1.11.

Take the $55 list price for the top-end AM1 Athlon, and times it by the list-to-retail ratio to get an estimated retail price of $50.60. Convert that to the Queen's currency and add the VAT and you get £36.24; times this by the rip-off Britain ratio to get an estimated UK retail price of £40.22.

*However*, I can see 'ere on this slide a claim of $59 for the top-end Athlon, which I'm assuming is AMD's manufacturer's recommended retail price given that it's $4 higher than the $55 per unit in tray form I've been quoted for AMD direct purchases. *So*, leaving the list-to-retail ratio alone and doing a straightforward currency conversion, VAT and the 11% rip-off Britain addition would give us £42.30.

In short: expect the top-end chip to sit just north of £40 and I doubt you'll be far wrong. That would put it roughly level with the AMD A6-6400K, or Intel's Pentium G3220.

TL;DR: I'm procrastinating again.

7. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

Not a bad guess...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-AD5350J...F8&qid=1397052191&sr=8-1&keywords=athlon+5350

8. Gareth Halfacree

Hah! I did wonder if they'd take a hit and opt for the sub-£40 mark. Considering the cost of the motherboards, that's pretty darn good: add in a stick or two of RAM, small storage drive and a cheapy-cheap PSU and case and you could potentially have a brand-new quad-core system for ~£100.

EDIT: Updated the article with UK pricing.

9. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I'm planning a wee build for my sister and nephew and this could well be perfect! It needs to play minecraft though, BENCHMARK THE MINECRAFTS!

10. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Grab one of these small cases with 65W PSU+Brick, put OpenELEC on a USB-Stick and you've got yourself a totally silent and damn cheap HTPC.

11. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

Getting to be a bit of a fan boy here, but the HP Microserver Gen7, after rebate's only £100, includes a processor, motherboard, case, power supply, memory and HDD, and it's quiet. Add a discrete half height HDMI card, you're looking at £130 all in...

Just saying...

12. Gareth Halfacree

Far weaker CPU, though, and it ain't silent. Sure, it's not like what I had in the 90s with its 60mm Delta CPU fan, but my Microserver N54L is easily the nosiest thing in the office - far more so than my A10-5800K desktop.

13. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

Mine is pretty quiet - but then it's new, and I'm only running Freenas... But point taken...

14. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

This is pretty exciting really. I mean, a PC for around £100....

Let's just hope that there's a nice cheap ITX board and they're not butt rape prices.

15. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

16. AlienwareAndy

Hurrah ! at forking last !!

Becoming more and more interested in this as the hours pass.

Ed. Bah it needs a 16x PCIE...

17. Gareth Halfacree

18. AlienwareAndy

Thinking about it the gambling industry could use that too. Their RNG dongles are usually off board serial or USB devices.

19. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

what `needs` 16x pcie that's not a gfx card??

20. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Interesting, not quite enough oomph to be suitable for the media PC at home, so I don't regret building that over Christmas.

Might be nice for low power PCs elsewhere in the house though if the need arises.