1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Logitech unveils K830 home-theatre keyboard and trackpad

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 10 Apr 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I think this is a great idea! - As I used to find using a mouse on the arm of your sofa a pain in the backside! :)

3. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

I'm not sure, but I think you might've been using it wrong.

4. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

5. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

So true, I've been using a w/less logitech S510 KB and mouse when streaming from PC to TV via HDMI and losing the mouse down the sofa is a pain but not half as annoying as dropping the damn thing in your pint :rolleyes:
    £60 isn't cheap though as you can buy the Logitech Cordless S520 KB and mouse for around £30.

6. devilxc

devilxc Biding my time...

7. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

I just use the remote app for XBMC.

8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

9. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

this isnt anything new - i already have a logitech keyboard with integrated trackpad ??? its called a K400

[​IMG]

I must admit it isnt as sexy as the K800 but the article reads like this is something new

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Let's do a features-check, shall we?

Wireless with 33ft range? Check.
    Trackpad in the numberpad location? Check.
    Unifying receiver? Check.
    Backlit keys with ambient light sensor? Ooh, no, the K400 ain't got that.
    Integrated rechargeable battery? Nup, the K400 uses two AAs.

So no, if you're reading the article as "Logitech launches keyboard with touchpad," it ain't new. (Incidentally, I've got a wired "Qwerty"-brand keyboard with a touchpad 'ere - cost a tenner.) If, however, you read it as "Logitech launches a home-theatre keyboard with touchpad, backlit keys, ambient light sensor and integrated rechargeable battery," then it most certainly is new. Unless you know of another keyboard with the above feature set?

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

12. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

woooahhh there ! i was merely saying that the article reads like this is something new. It looks a nice piece of kit but i do apologise if i was if was being too general.

13. Gareth Halfacree

And I was merely pointing out that the article reads like this is something new because it is something new.

14. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Retracted. I stand corrected.

I too have the K400, and its really good.

Last edited: 10 Apr 2014
  15. Gareth Halfacree

Okay, I was having fun before - but now I'm offended.

I can categorically state that I have no relationship with Logitech beyond owning a couple of their trackballs - which I bought with my own cash, thank you very much, and don't even use any more. I have never in my career been asked to write a puff-piece for a sponsor, and our Glorious New Overlords would not ask me to start now; if they did, you'd know because I'd quit.

I chose to write the article because I thought the product was neat. End of story.

16. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I accept your statement, and apologize. I won't make the same assumption again. Happy to hear that your ethical standpoint is as strong as it should be. I must confess I didn't notice that you were replying to the earlier statements, I saw the statement but not the name of the writer.

I'm always happy to hear about things that you think are relevant, as I like your judgement.

17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Pretty neat. Illuminated keys are handy in a darkened living room. I too have a K400 already :)

18. Gareth Halfacree

Apology accepted, and I apologise if my response was a little harsh. The sanctity of editorial impartiality is something I hold dear, and is something I will defend to my last breath. If any one of my clients - not just Bit - tried to influence* my editorial because they'd taken a company's gold, that would be a client I would be glad to lose. My name is my bond; if you see my name next to something, you need to know that I believe in what I'm saying and haven't been bought off for thirty pieces of silver. Thankfully, it's not an issue that has ever come up; either it's a lot less prevalent than people believe, or I've just been lucky to work with editors who have the same level of integrity for which I strive.

* - The closest that I've ever come is in topic suggestions. "Hey, Gareth," an editor might say. "We've just taken a big advertising order from a car manufacturer; can you do us some news stories about cars for the next couple of weeks?" Which is, naturally, fine by me - whereas "Madeup Manufacturer just paid us a boatload of cash, can you gush about every little press release they put out for the next couple of weeks" would be a problem. "Madeup Manufacturer has paid us a shedload of moolah for advertising, so we're not going to run the story you wrote about their vehicles catching fire in people's driveways in case they get upset?" Your publication, your rules - but that'd be where the editor and I part ways.

19. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Yeah I have one of those for my Raspberry Pi xbmc setup, works pretty damn well, and about the same size a standard remote, so sits on the arm of your sofa nicely when not being used.

20. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

One of my friends uses a Logitech M570 to control their living room PC, and it works fantastically. You just put 'er down and away you go. It's distinctive, visually - so guests are more than capable of finding it, even in the dark.

Though I get the entire purpose of a device like this from Logitech, it is a touch less convenient than other solutions.