1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays 27" IPS Monitor (2560x1440). Also NRG:IT.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeK, 18 Jun 2013.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I don't know, you live in the U.K so your return policy seams to be ubber complicated due to laws.
    Here, I just right-up the manufacture and set am RMA, or return/exchange, which, in the case of Dell, pays everything. For a return, Dell e-mail you a pre-paid shipping label, which you just print, and tape with transparent tape on the box over the old one. For RMA, Dell will allow you to keep the monitor that you have, while they send a replacement monitor, where inside, you'll see a pre-paid shipping label. Just swamp the monitors, and stick the pre-paid shipping label over the old one. And call the appropriate mail carrier to come and pick it up.

DO NOT RMA if you have any problem on Day 1. Return it. This applies to everything, anywhere: Exchanging the monitor, will not reset the return date or warranty date back to 0. It's best to return anything and re-order it.

So, in Canada and U.S, it's worth a shot. But, unless you have a physical store, you guys it's complicated from what I can get. Better get the ASUS, of you want to play it safe.

2. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

If the monitor has a service tag still attached just phone Dell and ask them to put it through their warranty check.

My last chassis I bought from NRG (Area 51 ALX 1200w psu BDROM etc) was £200 and came with a service tag on. When I phoned Dell they said it was warrantied until 2014 so no worries with the PSU :)

3. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Excluding the RMA issues or arrangements or whatever, which monitor would you choose based on quality etc?

4. GoodBytes

Dell and ASUS models suggested are apparently similar. I never had ASUS one to really tell you.
    Dell has better service.. at least in Canada and U.S, and have free shipping both direction... again.. in Canada and U.S. You might have it too, but I don't know. Based on people here, you have to go through the retailer, which now I don't know how it works. I get a million and one stories for U.K, no clear answer.

5. GoodBytes

Correct

I swap them, so that I don't see it in an angle, therefor I don't see the cross hatching problem.

U2713HM has a pre-color calibrated sRGB profile, and uses a true 8-bit panel. ASUS one does not. But then again.. Dell has production issue.

6. GeorgeK

Does the U2713H have the production issues to your knowledge? Also does it have the same pre-calibrated profile as the HM?

7. GoodBytes

U2713H is more a work monitor than gaming. The panel does overshoot. This is not an issue, its the panel that isn't fast enough.

If you can get your hands on the old U2711, would be ideal. It has best of both worlds, and has no production issue. Input lag is a bit on the slow side (~28-30ms), but doesn't affect gaming, unless you do hardcore FPS gaming, and you play competitively and all that.
    It has amazing colors, build quality is clearly superior than all current Dell and ASUS models, looks better (in my opinion), and response time is one of the best for an IPS panel, as well.

So yes, if you wonder, Dell previous generation monitor were better than the latest one. The latest one are more on par with the rest.

If you can't get your hand on the U2711 have a look at the ViewSonic VP2770. It's the latest model from ViewSonic. I can't comment on build quality, as I simply don't know, but it looks solid. Reviews are good for it. Great balance between colors reproduction and gaming.

GeorgeK likes this.
  8. Jimmy6

Jimmy6 What's a Dremel?

I can recommend the 2711 and NRG:IT - I bought mine there a few months back and it's been awesome.

9. GeorgeK

Doesn't appear to be many 2711s around any more. Waiting to hear back from NRG:IT about if they'll test for problems before sending and / or accept returns of there is...

10. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Think you'll be okay there - I asked a very similar question before buying mine from them. :thumb:

11. GeorgeK

I presume their answer was yes? And that yours was OK (i.e. no backlight bleed / crosshatching) ?

12. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

They told me they check all monitors before they send them, and I don't really have any backlight bleed and have never noticed any cross-hatching - (been looking at the screen from various angles since reading GoddBytes post and can't notice anything untoward).

If you e-mailed them , they'll probably reply to you soon.

Personally, I would buy from them again, and I would have no qualms about recommending this model of monitor.

GeorgeK likes this.
  13. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I had good service from then, I ended up getting a monitor which had a slightly scratch for a bit less than the cost they advertised because I asked.
    They emailed pictures etc.

Great customer service and would happily buy from them again :)

GeorgeK likes this.
  14. GeorgeK

I'm thinking that I'm almost certainly going to go for either that or the Asus PB278Q... I'm struggling to find out what warranty the Asus has - I think it's 3 years but different websites (Scan and Amazon) say other things... Decisions, decisions...

Another option that I've discounted is the Viewsonic screen - it looks nice but it's a lot more money and the stand is huge (depth-wise).

Edit: Ninja'd! Thanks for the comments George. What screen do you have may I ask?

15. GeorgeStorm

I've got a U2711, although part of me wants to trade it for a 120hz monitor....

That's nothing against the U2711 though, it's a fantastic screen :p
    I'm currently using it on its own for the week since I'm only home for just over a week and so couldn't be bothered getting my U2311H out as well, and its res is now definitely proving its worth :p

16. GeorgeK

Yeah - if they were still available widely I think I wouldn't be having issues deciding... I'm pretty much set on the U2713HM as long as NRG:IT are happy to either (a) test the screen for issues (bleed / cross hatching) before they send it and / or (b) accept a return / replacement if the screen does have those issues. I could obviously avoid those (possible) issues by going for the Asus screen but it's £130 more (ish)

17. GeorgeStorm

I'd personally just go for the U2713HM.
    If they didn't have a slightly cheaper one with the scratch I probably wouldn't have bought one.
    I mean yes they're nice, but I wouldn't be looking to spend £400+ on one.
    If you have multiple screens the extra res is far less useful, and I've not been overly impressed with the colours on either of my IPS monitors over my previous (cheap) TN panels so :p

If you're in Essex in the next week or so let me know and you can have a looksie at mine, might even be able to convince me to sell and go 120hz :) (or near Gloucester from July onwards)

18. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

Hey George

I've got an Asus PB278Q sitting here since buying it, not sure on warranty myself but under the impression its 3 years from what OcUK have on their site.

I'm actually happy to hear of its quality, I'll be honest, I've not even turned it on as yet, as my rigs gone through the dismantle stage and its still in pieces. :wallbash:

Though I did quickly pull it out from its box, must say the quality seems to be there! Its a very Matt finish IMO.

Not much help I guess but as you say, it does seem to be more dearer than the Dell.

Whatever you get, all the best and enjoy! :D

19. GeorgeK

Not going to be I'm afraid but thanks for the offer!

Thanks for the input! They do certainly look very nice monitors - even better on I hear!

I've heard back from NRG:IT and they say that they haven't had any issues at all with their U2713HMs but have offered to give one a good look over for me if I buy one and also to replace it should I notice any issues with it (and at their expense also).

20. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

:hehe: :clap:

Thats good to hear mate!

Incidentally, how much are NRG:IT asking for one of the Dell U2713HM's?

See Amazon have them delivered for under £425 NEW?

GeorgeK likes this.