1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel upgrades Bay Trail NUC to Celeron N2830

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 24 Apr 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Surprised they're still shipping chips with known hardware faults. Not entirely ethical, to my mind anyway. Ethics aside, I'm always astonished that they can make chips doing 2+GHz in a 7.5W TDP!

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

So they know there's a problem with the chips but they continue to hold stock and expect customers to deal with it? Naughty Intel! They should recall the lot, and replace them free of charge.

4. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

Article says the chip is bug fixed!!? Am i missing something?

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Yes: the last paragraph of the article.

6. littlepuppi

littlepuppi Currently playing MWO and loving it

Ahh, ok, that is a joke.

7. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

What I kind of don't get is why they are so darned expensive? z3770 runs something like $37 a pop in 1000 trays, but this runs $107 in 1000 trays. I know that it has more features (like SATA support and stuff), but it is a cut down core count. I do wonder if Intel is simply being honest on the z3770, but isn't advertising the true price to OEM/ODMs on the bay trail m/d line up. After all, there are several celeron based mITX boards that are less than the 1000 tray price of the processor on the board. I can't imagine that the OEM/ODMs are willing to take a huge hit just to make volume, so I assume Intel is subsidizing and/or offering big discounts on actual orders of the m/d chip lineup.

Anyway, I don't see what would make the chip 3x more expensive.