1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News New Microsoft IE zero-day won't be patched on XP

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 28 Apr 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Microsoft seems more concerned with getting people to upgrade than security, what with KB2952664 being released out of cycle, and zero-day vulnerabilities going unpatched for another three weeks.

3. Zider

Zider What's a Dremel?

Maybe they don't have a working fix for the other issues yet? It's not always a simple one line of code.

4. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

To be fair people have had 7 frickin years to avoid this so they only have themselves to blame if they're still on XP and using IE.

5. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

What about server 2003?

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

EOL is 14/07/2015 - but why still using it?

7. loftie

loftie Multimodder

I don't know why, but I assumed that since some parties were paying MS to still patch XP, that any critical updates would still be released to everyone. Obviously not.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

We may see a black market open up selling patches for XP that have come via a payed for extended support contract. Not that i would trust any patches coming from a unknown source, you may as well just install malware or keyloggers your self and be done with it.

Last edited: 28 Apr 2014
  9. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I suspect (and honestly hope) this is going to blow up in Microsoft's face.

I forsee lots of news articles about new security problems they're not patching on XP and stories about bad things happening to people who have XP machines. Fair or not, the narrative of "big mean company screws users to try to make more money" is a powerful one, and will probably sell copy.

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

when I come across customers with winxp I advise they upgrade to a newer version, be it win 7 or win 8, and I warn them that if they stay with xp, they are on their own if some security issue pops up.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yeah, it's a bit like people getting pinned like a butterfly on the steering wheel columns of their 1950's Cadillac Eldorado's in a frontal collision. Then again perhaps they should just either accept the safety limitations of an old car (no matter how classic), or buy a modern, safer one.

Windows XP is obsolete. I'm sorry for your loss; now move on.

12. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

It's not like people haven't been given enough time and cheap opportunities to change, there really isn't much of a good excuse for still having XP.

13. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

I like your analogy.

14. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

If you are using XP you are part of the problem that is holding PCs and humanity back.

Feel bad, then go get a halfway decent OS!!!

15. TheBitterNoob

TheBitterNoob What's a Dremel?

oh well atleast the two computers here that is staying on xp never handled anything important.....

16. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Not sure how ceasing support for an OS that has been extended several times is a money making tactic to be totally honest. People need to move with the times, it's as simple as that. Or are we going to start calling MS tight-fisted for no longer supporting Win98 too?

17. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Wait. People still use IE? Or XP? Everyone I know, including grandparents are all on vista or higher. The only vista machine is a dvr so meh on that one.
    All my stuff is now win 7 or linux.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Come on, the latest one is pretty decent. Better than Chrome, still behind Firefox.

19. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I use chrome at work and at home on most machines. Firefox on the Linux stuff, ie is just a horrible monstrosity in my opinion. I've used it but I don't like it. It comes a long way down my list of choices when opening a browser.
    IE is used by my grandparents and my dad. I think that is all.

That said, yes I agree it has got better.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

20. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i'm the opposite, I prefer IE, don't like chrome or firefox, its all down to personal taste, all browsers have their own security issues, so no one browser is any more secure than the others, yes they may have different flaws, but they have them all the same. oh and did you notice it is to do with flash player, now there is a surprise.

don't take my word for it Secunia do their own checks, market share, is more than likely because people have more than one browser

Last edited: 29 Apr 2014