1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows XP gets first post-EOL security patch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 May 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Dumb move.

3. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

or maybe 1 of those well healed corps paid for a global release?

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Or maybe they realized that having roughly a third of the computers out there get infected while running your OS while you did nothing to help them was going to look really really bad.

Like congressional hearings bad.

Satya Nadella didn't want to follow Mary Barra up to Capitol Hill to explain why his company stood by and did nothing while millions of people got their identities stolen and their computers hacked by a problem that MS knew about.

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Wasn't GM at fault because they didn't tell anyone? MS told everyone XP support would end, we've been warned for ages. If someone decides to use an unsupported product then it's there own fault if something goes wrong. Otherwise they'll be supporting XP forever.

XP is currently the equivalent of an old banged up rusty heap o' crap found at a scrapyard that isn't road worthy but that just happens to run. Regardless of previous faults, if it shouldn't be on the road then it's your own problem.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Dou't xp support will ever truly end as long as there is so many in use its difficult to just stop supporting the operating system as you leave yourself open to backlash.

If people needed a newer OS they surely would of upgraded already, I'd not be on windows 7 if certain games I played did not require windows 7. I'd still be happily on xp.

Do the general public even know windows xp support has ended not seen it posted in most of the bigger computer shops. None of the smaller ones around where i live have mensioned it

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

^THIS^
    You cant go blaming the manufacturer if you decide to buy a car without airbags, just as you cant blame the manufacturer if you can't buy a new set of brakes for a car they stopped making 12 years ago.

They do if they had auto update switched on (default) as they got an update that showed pop ups in the notification area telling them that support was coming to an end.

8. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Great analogy!

9. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    This, really.
    If it affects Windows and\or IE, it affects the image of all Windows and IEs.

10. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

If it was the same or very similar lines of code in XP (or just an easy fix), then M$ might as well just patch XP too. Good press for little or no work.

Also, I bet a lot of exploits have been held back, hoping to catch tons of users unprotected after the end of the support period. M$ can either continue to patch super critical flaws or just hope that attackers run ransom ware or some other computer disabling code, thus forcing most users to give up and buy a new computer (with windows 8!).

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I was under the [probably wrong] impression that it was a Patch for a version/versions IE that just happened to run on XP rather than a patch for XP itself...

12. loftie

loftie Multimodder

They haven't needed an end to support for this to happen, ransomware isn't something new that will appear, it exists already. Most users will generally swear at the computer, stamp their feet, and see how much it costs to get it repaired.

Again though, it's not Microsoft's fault if someone chooses to run IAMNOTAVIRUSHONEST.exe. Unfortunately the general population lacks common sense and this transfers to their use of computers too. For all it's faults, I like XP, but it needs to be retired.

13. Kruelnesws

Kruelnesws What's a Dremel?

I'm on w7 and intend to stay there until w9 sp1 or later.

I hope xp doesn't die for a long time just to give Microsoft grief. Other than w98 se, xp and w7 everything else in the last decade or so has been at least half garbage, Vista, ME, W8...to name a few. Maybe they will start to clue in that we want well working stable(ish) OS's that don't need three or four service packs/ revisions juice to be livable. And for the love of god, just give keep a simple option for classic style desktop and start menu, then have a different mode/ view/ tile style option.

Sorry Microsoft, as hard as you try your never going to be the Apple in the consumers eye...
    Bad Microsoft... stop screwing around already.

14. Nexxo

Hmmm. I wonder if Samsung is still haunted by their reputation for dodgy consumer electronics back in the 1980's... :p

15. Nexxo

Your statement is so much fail. So you expect Microsoft to create an OS that is bug-free and perfectly secure against all viruses and Trojans past, present and future, and will run on all hardware past, present and future, without any patches or updates. Unrealistic much?

Seriously, even OSX is on its, what, eight iteration? And Linux is on ten.

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I think it says more about the type of people using computers now days.
    There was a time computers were only used by geeks that knew what owning a computer involved and the reason to keep software updated.

Just like there was a time that owning a car meant you had to know where to put the water and oil, and what that funny light on the dashboard meant. Now we just take our car to a mechanic when it stops working.

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

9th for OSX and I think Linux have lost count...

18. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Butthurt much.

19. Kruelnesws

Kruelnesws What's a Dremel?

Nexxo I do see what you are saying. I don't expect a perfect system, that is impossible. Just not something that is obviously riddled with so many not so little, obvious, issues. It's seems that Microsoft hurries to release a OS that is closer to a Beta than consumer ready product, ie. Vista. I wish they took a little more time and had a little bit more polish. Kind of how some game developers launch knowingly bug ridden games and still pushed out the door to meet the deadline... then scrambling to make it not sh!++y.

- oops we released another brutal OS, quick try to patch the gaping hole with a bandaid and we will just call it something else

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Was Samsung selling Galaxies and Notes back then?