1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News GameSpy closure knocks EA classics offline

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 May 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Clearly their solution to concerns about the player experience is for people to buy new games.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

If EA was so concerned couldn't they just setup their own GameSpy servers ?

4. Spraduke

Spraduke Lurker

I'm slightly confused, for MOHAA at least Gamespy was only used for the in-game server browser (which was awful!) most people used all seeing eye or equivalent when it was most popular (don't know about now). The actual game servers are all dedicated boxes hosted by individuals (i.e. clans).

Unless Gamespy servers are required to authenticate these dedicated servers in some fashion I don't see the problem apart from failure of the in game browser.

5. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I'm pretty sure that GameSpy stored all of your login details for the multiplayer versions.

I know with BF2 that if you needed to change your email / password you could log onto gamespy and make the changes there, even if you set your player up in game.

I hope that EA do enable us to play multiplayer again as I do still enjoy the odd game of BF2. They proably want them to die so that we forget what is was like when Dice could make decent BF games.

6. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I hate Gamespy with a passion, to me this is nothing but good news.

7. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Great! I still play BF2 Vietnam. Still an awesome game with lot's of players.

8. oscy

oscy Modder

Dang, I played Battlefield 2 quite a bit last year. But it's not like it's the only large multiplayer war game out there I suppose, and I have a couple hundred other games to play. There's always Star Wars Battlefront 1 offline.