1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Murdered: Soul Suspect Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 18 Jun 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Great review, but definitely made complete by "I can hardly praise the tasty mint on top of my pillow if the entire hotel is on fire"

Shall have to remember that one!

I'm very much liking the honest and just simply different reviews recently with much more of the personality of the reviewer than just facts and observations...

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

This is one of those rare occasions where a scathing (and highly amusing) review of a game only serves to intrigue me further.

If I can liberate a copy for next to no cash at some point in the future I'll blast though it for the comedy.

What is a shame is that done right, this sort of game could really bring something new to the table. There are plenty of non-gamers who would be intrigued if genuinely AAA titles were being released in this genre - just look at the success of fairly mediocre detective games on mobile devices.

4. stanonwheels

stanonwheels What's a Dremel?

Completely agree, best line I've read in a while :)

5. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Great review Rick. I caught some of the early preview and walk-through vids of this, and all your criticisms are evident there; cliche dialogue, obvious plot points and Ghooossst waaaallls.

Top review.

6. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

This game certainly has some mixed reviews. The score here is the lowest I've seen at 25%, whereas elsewhere I've seen a highly praised 8/10. Whilst the game has its obvious flaws as mentioned in this review, I did actually enjoy playing it.

The graphics are good, as are the voiceovers, but why you can't enter buildings unless a door/window is open yet once inside you can walk through walls...I still don't really understand the explanation for that!

The layout of the town is nothing ground breaking, but I did like the way ghost elements of the towns past was overlapped with the present. The game is very linear and there really is no replay value either. Also the side quests/collectables do not unlock anything or reward you in any way. And the demons end up being a pain in the arse, halting your progress more than anything.

The idea of being a ghost and solving your own murder is a great one. This game could have been so much more, instead its trapped between being a third person and point-and-click adventure. I give this a slightly better 4/10.

7. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

As usual... cool idea for adventure game, fail in execution. It seems like it's been forever since there was some real quality adventure games. I really wish well regarded established studios would take the genre seriously again and do some high quality adventure releases. As I get older I find myself wanting these kinds of games more and more over shooters and other fast paced action types. Good ones are so few and far between and I get tired of replaying the best ones which are from 10+ years ago over and over.

8. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

The main character shares the same last name as me, I was really banking on this game taking off so O'Connor could be a household name just like Master Chief or Nathan Drake but alas. The plot even sounded cool from the start but if it's really that bad I guess I better avoid it until it's in a bargain bin or steam puts it on a major sale. There will be a famous O'Connor one day, ONE DAY!

9. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Having had a choice of free games with my new 280X gfx card, I opted for the interesting-sounding, yet-to-be-release MSS.... One hour in, I'm regretting the waste of bandwidth and disk space. [sigh]

10. RickLane

RickLane Staff Lover of bit-tech

Glad you enjoyed! Since the departure from Dennis we've had a bit of a change in editorial policy that allows me greater flexibility than what I had previously. I don't think it's massively different from what I was doing before. But the extra wiggle room certainly helps.

11. demastes

demastes What's a Dremel?

glad i read this. its sat on my steam wish list and there is shall stay until its 75% cheaper (or i win the summer sale thingy)
    great review.

12. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

LOL

Well written article. Good stuff.

13. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

You people need to play Deadly Premonition.

Tags: Add Tags