1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 1 Jul 2014.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Yeah.... still kinda hard to beat $99 Crucial MX100 performance though. For most users, that $100 difference is barely noticeable.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

But for those extra $ you also get a 7 year longer warranty than the MX100, that alone is gold (IMHO) for workstation environments.

I'm looking forward to the 850 EVO myself, rumors in January said both the PRO and EVO were due around the same time, fingers crossed.

4. Vallachia

Vallachia What's a Dremel?

What more can they do when the 850 EVO arrives though? Unless it's SATA Express/M2 then won't it be bottlenecked by the interface?

I'm also keen to see what the 850 EVO can deliver, it just seems like there's not much wiggle room for improvement.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Well i wouldn't expect massive improvements over the PRO, but i would expect the EVO to have higher 4K Random Read, Single QD results. I don't think there are many other places it could improve over the PRO though TBH :) other than having SATAe and/or M.2 versions.

6. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

the EVO is a lesser drive than the Pro, why would anyone assume the 850 EVO would be better? The 840 EVO wasnt better than the 840 Pro if you looked at benchmarks re run on newest firmwares the fact it was faster was merely an illusion from lazy benchmarking and reporting over the internet. Rebenching everything on the release of a new drive however is a hassle and time consuming so previous data is always used. Most 840 Pro benchmarks if you look are from release, none cover the drive with the firmware update and facility to enable Rapid and those that do show it has an advantage over the 840 EVO.

7. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

when are these ssds out ?

8. Noob?

Noob? What's a Dremel?

^^ As this man says. :)

When Corky42 mentioned "a 7 year longer warranty than the MX100", I was thinking what? Obviously this was prior to me having read the article this thread links to on the main site. Must admit, for that alone I'd be happy to get one. :)

Last edited: 8 Jul 2014
  9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

850 EVO will always be bottlenecked by the SATA interface speed. M.2/SATA Express drives using SATA mode still get only SATA3 speeds. To go above SATA3 speeds, the drive must use the PCI-E interface of the M.2/SATA Express, and that means a completely new controller. Which Samsung already has, see Samsung XPG941 - scores around 1GB/s sequential read on my server.

Tags: Add Tags