1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Core i5-4690K review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 3 Jul 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. phem0r

phem0r What's a Dremel?

Cost aside, i think the 4690K & 4790K are both worthwhile purchases if you are coming from Sandy Bridge or older, you might as well wait for Broadwell otherwise..

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I think you'd be crushed coming from a Sandy Bridge chip (most likely the 2500K since that's what all the sensible ones bought).

The 4690K is barely any quicker at stock, and when both chips are OCd the difference is negligible...

Basically, unless you need any of the new features of a more recent CPU, anyone on a Sandy/Ivy bridge platform should save their pennies.

4. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Thats just what i was thinking. Power consumption benchmarks are very impressive though. I wont be upgrading any time soon.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

With no big jumps in performance from Intel for the last few generations they should rename Broadwell to BroadShoulders :D It seems a lot of people are pinning their hopes on it.

We may not get much more than the usual 5-10% performance boost, but at least we will get some new features.

6. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

That idle power consumption is nice - looking at just power alone, I'm so glad I finally moved from AMD this year...

7. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Not really, my Sandy Bridge 2500K is already more than fast enough for me, especially at 4.6Ghz. It can still outpace the stock 4770 in my work computer quite easily, and the latter does a lot of code compilation every day.

8. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I got one of these last week and with volts set to Auto in the BIOS (Asus VII Hero) I can get it 100% stable up to 4.7Ghz with 1.275vlts.

I can boot at 4.8Ghz with 1.275 and successfully run Cinebench, but it locked up running Asus Realbench (on the 2nd benchmark test)

[​IMG]

I'm sure I could easily get it stable with more volts but I only have a mid level tower cooler on it and temps creep into the low 90's in Prime, so unless I get a better cooler, 4.7 is as high as I'm going.

For normal usage I'm running it at 4.6Ghz on 1.25 and temps stay in the low 80's in Prime...in stuff like games, I've never seen it go above 60c..which is damn good for a £25 air cooler.

Overall I'm well pleased with my purchase.

9. DbD

DbD Minimodder

puts on oven gloves and pats i2500K affectionately - the old girls still got what it takes.

Anyone talking about upgrading from sandy bridge hasn't been around long enough to know what a real upgrade is - going from a 3.2Ghz P4C to a core 2 duo that also did 3.2Ghz o/c, or from a core 2 quad @ 3.0 to an i2500K @ 4.3. That's an upgrade! These days hardly anything changes.

10. Shirty

^^^ So this ^^^

Celeron 600MHZ -> Athlon XP 2400+ = MASSIVE UPGRADE

Athlon XP 2400+ -> Core 2 Duo E6600 = MASSIVE UPGRADE

Core 2 Duo E6600 -> Core 2 Duo E8400 = Meh

Core 2 Duo E8400 -> Core i5 2500K = MASSIVE UPGRADE

Core i5 2500K -> Core i5 4690K = Meh

I'll be waiting until the next socket update before I even think about trading my current 3570K. Delidded it's much cooler than my 2500K was, and clocks just as well.

11. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

..I went from a dual core Phenom II 550 to a 4690K....that's an upgrade for real men, with beards.

12. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

the difference is about 90 watts - which will take you 26 months for the cost difference in savings if your using a pc 24/7 at full load....

13. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

Good point well made.

(If I was properly concerned re power usage I'd probably unplug all those old phone chargers)

14. Shirty

It's still a saving though, and think of all the heat you'd have had to tame :thumb:

15. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

having read another website review - was shocked to see the 4790k was running hotter than the amd 9590 as well

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Got a link to this website? As ive read most of the reviews of the recent chips and not seen too much of it.

As for Cpus in general the lack of competition has killed the market place you have 1 runaway leader and the other is so far behind you wont even see its dust clouds.

Heres a question for everyone if AMD Was competitive as Harle would like us to think would Intel have released broadwell this year or made more of a push to get it out of the door instead of releasing a sidegrade from last years models?

17. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I think the only impetus for me to upgrade is that I want to build a M-atx/M-ITX build. The newer boards usually support better things, but even PCI-E 2.0 and my 2500K @ 4.4Ghz is still working fantastically.

18. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Interesting that two of the three MASSIVE UPGRADEs included a doubling of the core count or switching from AMD to Intel and vice versa :)

19. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Exactly, besides the financial advantage of saving electricity you can also use a smaller cooler which allows using a smaller case and you can turn fan speeds down.

20. Shirty

Such is the nature of MASSIVE UPGRADEs :D

The Haswell/DC range are a no-brainer if you're starting afresh from an older rig and don't really want to go second hand, but for anyone upgrading from a Sandy i5 or later these are just a silly option.

This of course coming from me who replaced a 2500K with a 3570K - but in fairness I sold the Sandy for the same price I paid for the Ivy...

Same or better potency for less power draw is always nice to have. Obviously heat density will become a growing issue as die sizes shrink more and more, but as long as Intel steer clear of using KY jelly and hope to attach the heatspreader in the future (I'm looking at you Ivy Bridge) all should be well.

Tags: Add Tags