1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News US government lays claim to foreign-held data

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 Jul 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I'd have thought that, given that the data is held (presumably) wholly in another country, then surely International and Irish law would apply in this case, regardless of whether the owner or user is based in the US? Presumably the datacentre in Ireland is run by Microsoft Eire Ltd?

Of course, IANAL, and I'm sure common sense never counts when laws are made ;)

Given the effect that US spying in Germany has had recently, I don't think the US Government is in a position to start demanding data held in other countries.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Soon we'll have a booming cloud server industry in places like Switzerland and the Caiman Islands. "All your data are safe and confidential with us...". :D

4. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

Pretty sure constitution automatically renders any law that conflicts with its laws invalid. "Stored Communications Act overrules the Fourth Amendment" This is logically impossible as they are basically stating that the law is unconstitutional and is therefor invalid. A law other than a constitutional amendment can not override a law of the Constitution. Claiming that it does is the same as stating that it is logically not in agreement with the 4th and that it is therefore logically an invalid law.

5. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

(Corrected, thanks G) If any IT managers still use cloud servers provided by any business with a branch based in the US then they don't deserve to hold on to their jobs, plus marched outside the office and fixed via firing squad.

(Added) personal view, plus **** day, equals drama statement in my post.
    (Added) day 2. Only moderately better than the previous day, therefore extra drama injected into my post.

Last edited: 16 Jul 2014
  6. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

I think European companies should welcome this, as this makes it impossible for any US owned company to actually sell services to non-US territories, as they will be by law in violation with local laws, like EU data protection directive.

7. Nexxo

Indeed. But we all know that George Dubja Bush left his retard cooties* all over the White House which then went on to infect everyone who has entered the building since. So now the whole US government are retards.

*Particle physicists have postulated that Bush, like many dumbasses, emits morons: particles of cluelessness. When too many morons accumulate in a given space, they have a degenerative effect on reasons (particles of rationality) and slow down the speed of cognition. Hence we talk about "retards".

8. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

How in the hell does this have anything in any way to do with Bush!?

9. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

EVERYTHING

Very good point about constitutional superiority, but then nexxo is also correct, our government is composed of former dumbasses that have since put their brains on permanent leave and became full-time fu#ktards.

10. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

MS are caught between a rock and a hard place - and we will see a proxy `war` between the US and everyone else.

11. Nexxo

The whole US government went completely of its already precarious moral cliff when Bush came into office. It went hysterical.

The moron theory certainly has some weight when you observe the effect that George Bush had on the UK Prime Minister Tony Blair. He went from reasonably bright, pragmatic politician to complete and utter 'tard as soon as Bush walked into the room. He has not been the same since. Seriously, I'm inclined to look for an alien parasite nestling in his brain stem or something.

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Read the article (or just the headline) again: the appeal is against the US requesting data from non-US cloud servers. You don't even have to be a US company to be targeted; just have a branch of your business in the US. The list of large-scale cloud providers that don't do business in the US would be very, very short.

13. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

Thank you. Have corrected my original post! 110% **** day yesterday meant that I didn't get as far as any headlines! and even then mis-read them :wallbash:

14. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

GCHQ probably has the data the US want already and will give it to them, isn't that what happened when the s**t originally hit the fan, it emerged that GCHQ had circumvented UK legal procedures and protocols by obtaining data on UK residents directly from the US, GCHQ then proclaimed that they had not broken any laws regarding surveillance and data gathering because they did not gather the data, they simply obtained it straight from the US, I'll show you mine if you...

15. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

encrypted at source then stored on the cloud as encrypted, and encrypted again, surely the data would be useless

ps I haven't read the article yet, as there seems to be a problem with bit servers

16. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Since when has encryption been an issue for NSA, GCHQ, they seem to have a backdoor to most encryption methods and have the dubious legal powers to eliminate any software and software developers that won't play ball with them :eyebrow:

17. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

it isn't only us companies developing encryption

18. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Irrelevant as they can simply choose between screaming Terrorists or Pedos and then you will be forced to hand over the encryption keys.

19. Nexxo

If they accuse me of being a paedo, I'll just bristle with indignation and say: "Sir, you confuse me with a member of parliament!".

20. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

You do?

Sorry...:D

Corky42 likes this.