1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Divinity: Original Sin Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 25 Jul 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Mockingbird

Mockingbird What's a Dremel?

This is a fair and balanced review, based on my experiences of the game.

Regarding the poke-the-fence syndrome, people have seemed to be falling in either the "It doesn't tell me what to do, then I die, this is not fun" camp or the "I can do what I like and face the consequences, and I love it" camp, so it's nice to see a more reasoned exploration. Most of the time there's a person (e.g. a random guard) who if questioned might say something like "Oh, the undead to the northwest of town seem weaker, somehow" or some other hint, but it's all too easy to miss that in the dozens of lines of dialogue amongst hundreds of characters.

I find the biggest problem I've enountered (and this is really praising with faint damnation) is that I keep re-starting to try different character builds, and consequently never get very far with any particular party.

3. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Nice review Rick. I was waiting for this before making my decision :)

Gonna pick it up tonight. Thanks!

4. Lockinvar

Lockinvar What's a Dremel?

I've been enjoying D:OS immensely over the last week and this review is spot on. For me the highlight is the difficulty of the battles - when you get your ass whooped it forces you to adapt and make full use of the huge array of tactical options available.

However, I restarted early once I thought I understood the system to make a powerful custom pure-fighter/pure-mage synergistic combination - I feel anyone making hybrids or picking non-combat skills may have a frustrating time with the frequent(ly deadly) combat. Perhaps because of this I've had no issues yet with going the "wrong" direction and encountering too high level enemies - they've all fallen before me.

The game's only letdown for me has been the NPC's - your options of companions with actual personalities are limited to two - and both are fairly noxious in my opinion. Larian stated somewhere they wanted to add more post-release but that's doing me no good right now.

Last edited: 26 Jul 2014
  5. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

This sounds absolutely brilliant, and I will need to pick this up at some point ... there are not nearly enough hours in a day!

6. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

I must be the only person who has played it and went "meh it's OK" lol.

Might get back to it at some point, just did not think it was "all that".

Sent from my brain.

Tags: Add Tags